Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

I would say to try and focus on the positive outcomes of the trip. When you are feeling overwhelmed to write a list and focus on one point at a time. You don't need to have all the details finalised at the same time. You may start with flights/bus tickets and then go to accomodation etc.. 

I like to research things to do to give me goals to work towards. eg I want to complete that day hike- then sort out the details to make it happen.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

@Lauz @Ilovehiking Cut yourself some slack. Things don’t always go right but they will always work out. Something I keep trying to remind myself.

@Jm3  Just BREATHE!!

Those are fabulous words of wisdom @Jm3 and @Ilovehiking - next time you might feel that anxiety and fear creep up, share some of that kind wisdom with yourself, maybe even write it down so it's at the ready! it can be hard in anxious or tough moments to remember to be kind to ourselves or how to be kind to ourselves, so these sentences can help ☺️

It's time to finsih off and say goodbye! I want to say a big HUGE thank you. Everyone here tonight shared some really meaningful insights and vulnerabilities that have helped us all learn. I hope you all found something to take away with you and help you with your experiences of being away from home! I have just summarised a few of the amazing tips we shared tonight that can help manageour mental wellbeing when preparing or being on a journey outside our comfort zone of home. I added a few extras and some resources at the end 🧡

• Speak to your GP and therapist and find out what kind of contact you could have with them or if they could refer you any numbers that could be useful while you are gone
  • Share your itinerary
  • Pack comforts – anything that helps to make you feel grounded Could be a scent, a favourite book or a playlist that soothes you
  • Journal – write yourself some encouraging notes before you go to look at as you travel
  • Being aware of your triggers and if possible communicating that to people you are travelling with or to
  • Know what supports you can access abroad
  • Research
  • Understand and prepare any needed medications for the trip (storing some in hand luggage is good to in case of any issues with baggage)
  • When planning, it’s okay to be realistic and remind yourself that in the unknown you have the strength to get through (it might take A LOT of reminding which is okay!)
  • Working out where a space might be that you can be alone when you need to settle some anxiety when you are at your destination or on the trip (bathrooms are handy and always available!)
  • Bring things that are familiar to you
  • You can check out some internationally accessible help services here – this is a great site for highlighting what you can access in each continent or what online supports are available internationally http://www.spurprojects.org/mentalhealthsupport/
  • If travelling overseas it can be good to check out this government page around how to connect with Australian supports while you are away https://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/all-travellers/health/Pages/mental-health.aspx

thank you.jpg

Thanks, @Lauz and everyone, this was a great Topic Tuesday 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.