Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

Hi @Ali11 - lovely to have you here! Video chat is a wonderful tip - with the development of tech these days, a lot of restaurants, cafes, hotels will usually have wifi so even if you are on a road trip sometimes at a pit stop you can connect 👍🏼

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

@Lauz Being able to experience new things. I love animals so visiting zoos always makes me feel better.  For me being able to relax without having to think about my dependant or animals is crazy important. 

We video chat with our young adult daughters. Its a great way to connect. We can all have a laugh at our experiences- usually their stories relate to some cooking drama 🙂 

@Lauz 

the most meaningful trip we did was getting in the car , going for a drive , stopping here and there taking photos , taking our time , staying overnight somewhere , sitting by a river , doing bushwalking

sitting on camp chairs in the middle of the creek

I have to bail, really tired. Guess this topic Tuesday is more about people setting off on a temporary Easter Holiday, as apposed to my dreaded homeless living in my van to go country to find an affordable rental that will let me keep my furbaby.
But lots of good tips and reminders. TNKS

Thanks for coming along @Former-Member - you shared some really valuable things tonight and I hope that even though this topic may not have been geared towards your specific situation that there are some transferable ideas around being out of comfort zones. Keep reaching out while you work through the transition and link in to supports like helplines too - they can have some useful housing referals 🤞

I've had some great experiences of travel, seeing friends and family who live far away, going to events like writers/readers festivals, seeing different landscapes...

One of the most challenging trips I've taken also had some of best experiences. I found it emotionally overwhelming going to stay with my dad's birth family, but it was also lovely to see them, plus I went from winter in a cold NSW town to having a swim in the ocean in August on the Sunshine Coast! 

Best wishes, @Former-Member . I hope everything works out well for you, and you're able to find a secure home, and make good connections in your new neighbourhood. 

These are some really beautiful insights into the benefits you have experienced in travelling - does it make you feel like overcoming or more so working to manage your mental wellbeing can at times be worth it? There is also nothing wrong in part of managing mental health by recognising when a challenge may just be too much. 

I thought another nice thing we could do tonight is to share a sentence or so that you would direct at a hypothetical friend who was struggling with an upcoming trip. 

You know they have navigated mental health challenges and you also know that this trip could be a really great thing for them. What would or could you say to this friend to help them feel supported in this? 

Looks like things have gotten a little quiet! It is getting towards the end of the night after all! Some thoughts on sentences you could give to a friend - and that you could also write down and carry with each of you!

Even in the unknown you are strong and have managed and gotten through hard things in your life, and you will again. 

Remember the way you felt after a holiday and the memories you have had - hopefully this helps while you manage the anxiety

Be kind to yourself - your feelings are valid and you can still keep planning and having your trip while you have your apprehension and anxiety 

Any other ideas? What would help you to hear said to you as you manage planning and going on a trip? We have 5 more minutes to share! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.