Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

nashy
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Symptoms of Social Media - Looking after our Mental Health online // Tues 19th Feb, 7pm AEDT

LE-SymptomsofSocialMedia.png 

Is our social media use having a positive or negative impact on our overall wellbeing? How can we balance our perception of instagram posts, facebook statuses and filtered snapchats with realistic expectations of our own lives?

Social Media is not necessarily a negative, or a positive - the benefits of social media of course lie in the way we engage with each platform. Join us on the 19th of Feb featuring our special guest Holly, a youth peer ambassador and online mental health advocate, as we explore the peaks and troughs of social media, including strategies on maintaining healthy mental wellbeing whilst engaging online.

ezgif-1-fc4f47842bab.gif

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

84 REPLIES 84

Re: Topic Tuesday // Symptoms of Social Media - Looking after our Mental Health online // Tues 19th Feb, 7pm AEDT

Hello all! Happy Tuesday 😄

Tonight’s Topic Tuesday is one that members of all ages can relate to and especially some of our younger members who have grown up using platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. Tonight’s event “Symptoms of Social Media” will explore the peaks and troughs of social media, including strategies on maintaining healthy mental wellbeing whilst engaging online.

giphy (1).gif

For those members who wanted a reminder of tonight’s event a VERY special welcome to you 🙂 @Former-Member  @frog  @Razzle  @Snowie  @BlueBay  @greenspace  @Adge  @Zoe7  @Teej 

For those that haven’t been involved in a Topic Tuesday before, we will be raising some questions for you to consider. There’ll be around 10-15 minutes for everyone to respond to each question. This is a forum for peer support and discussion so don’t hesitate to jump in and get involved by answering or adding to the discussion!

I would now like to introduce tonight’s special guest @holly299 . @holly299  is one of Sane Australia’s Youth Peer Ambassador’s in addition to her own Mental Health advocacy work. To kick off I will get @holly299  to tell us a little bit about herself…

Re: Topic Tuesday // Symptoms of Social Media - Looking after our Mental Health online // Tues 19th Feb, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone and thanks for having me on this topic Tuesday! As @nashy  said my name is Holly and I’m an online mental health advocate and peer ambassador for SANE Australia. I currently live in Melbourne but was born and raised in Sydney. I am currently in my final year of physiotherapy and can’t wait to start practising. My hobbies include reading, sport and going out for brunch.

I am part of the queer community and am passionate about the intersection between the LGBTQ+ identity and mental health. I am currently in recovery from anorexia nervosa, depression, self harm and anxiety.

My eating struggles started when I was 15 but my self esteem and body image issues started when I was as young as 6. As I went through university my mental health got worse and worse. I became extremely suicidal and was self harming. It took me a long time to seek treatment but now I’m well and truly on the way to recovery and living a life I want to live.    

hi @holly299  and @nashy 

looking forward to this

welcome @Former-Member !

Hi @holly299 Good to have you.

Hi @nashy Thanks for the Reminder.

Hi @Former-Member & everyone.

Adge

Sorry am sitting out the back not feeling too well in a few dift ways ok physical arthritis, stress , no money, mouth, cant afford dentist, could make self go to work now I really need to, to not be homeless. Anyhoo

Hey there @Adge , welcome -  Thanks for joining 😄 

Hey @TAB, welcome thanks for joining. Sorry to hear about this heaviness tonight mate, no drama participate as much or as little as you like. Self-care number one.

Alright crew, first question! Social media isn’t inherently good or bad but often it can have an impact on your mental health, wellbeing and sense of self.

q1.gif

What are some of the challenges that social media has posed to your mental health?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.