Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

The discussion has started, scroll down and keep refreshing your browser to see responses, and keep and eye on the page numbers as there is only 10 posts per page, then a new page will be created.

TT JAN 28TH Internal use.png

This event is open for everyone: for people with a direct experience of mental health issues as well as family, friends, loved ones and carers.

A range of impacts across the country

Ringing in 2020 might have felt confronting, complicated or downright tough for Australians as we have all felt/watched/been impacted by the current unprecedented bushfires across multiple states. Between being either close, directly in line with the fires or watching through the media - we want to use this online Forums event to talk as a community through the feelings around this as well as strategies to manage now and address the medium to long term impact these kind of events can have.

Online discussion with a mental health professional

We will have the wonderful @Daphne returning as our special guest who is a counsellor at SANE Australia and leads our counselling team both clinically and operationally. @Daphne has extensive experience as a counsellor in the mental health sector and has worked with both people whom live with mental health issues and their carers or family and friends.

Content warning & further support

Please be aware that this discussion could be triggering relating to trauma and PTSD. SANE Australia is committed to supporting people navigate the lasting impacts of the bushfire crisis and other traumatic events. 

For access to ongoing support, the Australian Government has recently announced a mental health support package for people affected by the bushfires. If you have been affected by recent bushfire events and would like to access these supports you can call the Australian Government bushfire disaster assistance line on 180 22 66 or visit: https://www.lifeinmindaustralia.com.au/mental-health-support-for-bushfire-affected-communities.

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEDT- 7pm
  • AEST- 6pm
  • ACDT- 6:30pm
  • ACST- 5:30pm
  • WST- 4pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

108 REPLIES 108

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

Hello and welcome everyone @frog @Shaz51 @greenspace @BlueBay @eth @Adge @Former-Member @Snowie @Determined @citttycat @Determined 👋

Tonight we are going to be talking through the recent bushfires and the range of impacts we may have experienced partnered with sharing and working out some useful coping strategies. We are really lucky to have two of our SANE Australia counsellors with us tonight as special guests – @Rainforest and @Daphne!

For those that are new, I will be posing questions for both the counsellors and you – the community to respond to in order to delve into some conversation. This space is safe and judgement free and we are here to help even if you have tech issues (just send us a quick email (team@saneforums.org if you get stuck) the community is supportive and helpful here! 

So, while people start coming into the event, I’ll get @Daphne  and @Rainforest  to quickly introduce themselves 😊

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

Hi everyone and thank-you for having me.

I am a counsellor and have worked extensively in the mental health sector.

I am the operations lead for the SANE Help Centre and am responsible for the day to day operation of the centre and I provide the counsellors with clinical and operational support.

I think tonight provides us with an important opportunity to process what a tough time this has been not only for those that have been impacted directly by the bushfires but all of us.

Thanks @Lauz  and hi everyone.  It's great to be invited here tonight to talk about such an important topic as the bushfires

Hi @Lauz @Daphne @Rainforest 

I'm sorry I can't stay tonight. In hospital and not in a good frame of mind. 
hope the night goes well. Maybe I need to chat with someone. 

Sorry to hear that @BlueBay, thanks for touching base her. Please get the support you need.

Hi @BlueBay - thanks for dropping in. No pressure to stay in the event tonight if you aren't feeling up to it. I am glad you are in a safe place and if you are feeling like you want to chat to someone one on one, do reach out to a helpline 🧡

Hey @BlueBay  thanks for checking in tonight and sorry to hear that you're struggling atm.  I'm sure you'll do what you need to look after yourself and there's always the lovely forum community too for support.  Take care and have a good night 

So lets get started. We all experience and respond to the bushfire crisis differently, it can be overwhelming and we can feel a sense of hopelessness or a sense of urgency that we need to do something to make a difference. How have you been experiencing the current situation and how have you been processing that for yourself?

The Bushfire crisis in Australia impacts us all in different ways and at different levels. We may be directly affected or affected from a distance. We are concerned for others, worried about communities, we care about people, animals, nature, the world and our future.

As humans we have an innate response to crisis, tragedy, disaster or trauma. Our flight or fight response kicks in and we want to help out or be involved in some way, whether it is donating money, our time or watching media coverage and staying connected because we care. An immediate response is needed to address the crisis but disasters like this will need a long-term response and recovery requires a long-term approach, particularly when we look at the impact of disasters on people’s mental health.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.