Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Mellymead
Contributor

Now

Good Greetings 

I wondered if other people with lived experience utilised the “Power of Now” in their daily activities 

I have been trying to practice bringing my awareness to the present moment and breathing deeply

sometimes it is freedom

I was particularly interested in hearing about times of high anxiety and strategies for release from the distress

thank you 

melly 

7 REPLIES 7
Bow
Senior Contributor

Re: Now

There is a lot of power in the now @Mellymead or grounding…. But I need to get in and do it early before the distress gets too high. 

having something in my hands … usually a pretty rock for me, to play with and focus my attention on. Wrapping myself in a nice warm blanket and remembering what my daughters hugs feel like. Going and sitting outside and feeling the fresh air, or engaging with my 5 senses. 

Thank you so very much for sharing that information it is very helpful and kind of you I appreciate that 

Here's a weird question I just thought of. Does now have a bandwidth? Like, the broad now and the narrow now. That sort of stuff. Apparently different species experience time at different speeds. Do we have now-gears? Time-gears?

You also make me think of the foundational instinct parts of the brain. Where brain and body connect. That feels like the "now-est" part. Sometimes instincts are there before now arrives. This is part of why leg day is also a mental health thing.

Paperdaisy
Peer Support Worker

Hey @Mellymead Wondering if anything in this would be helpful for you? Just popping the thread here 

Take care and thanks for reaching out 💛

tyme
Community Lead

Hi @Mellymead ,

Most definitely, I'm learning to live in the Power of NOW. 

For many years, I lived in the past or lived in the future. It didn't get me very far.

The NOW is so incredibly powerful. It is the one moment you have control over. Living in the past takes us into a depressive state. Living in the future takes us to an anxious state. 

It doesn't mean to disregard the past or the future, but to realise and hone in to the Power of NOW - that's where you can make a difference.

tyme

Hi @Mellymead 

I really try to practice the theory of the "Power of Now" (but I do often drop the ball and get caught up in my own thoughts).  I love to just stop for a moment, focus on my breathing, take in everything around me, and just be fully present.  In a life that can be so hectic it can be such a powerful feeling.   

When I get really anxious it can be a little overwhelming to control my thoughts and my mind can go into free fall. One trick I was taught when feeling like this was to really push my feet into the floor/ground for a few minutes and just focus on that feeling - I find that it really helps bring me back to the present moment and its calm me down.  

Love to read what others think of the Power of Now too.

Best wishes, 

FloatingFeather

Good Greetings @FloatingFeather 

Thank you for your reply

That is an awesome tip to push down on your feet I am going to try that 

I find this forum amazing the feedback is brilliant 
I get strength reading all the comments and find them insightful and inspiring 

I have been struggling with delusions and contacted the SANE 1800 number and spoke to a support person about 
some questions I had about delusional thinking - how to deconstruct the patterns - like how to stop the fixation
The SANE support person was really helpful and gave me literal examples to illustrate the fact that my thinking wasn't based on reality
I also get great insight from having examples of consciousness and unconsciousness behaviour explained to me from Eckhart Tolle
Together I feel compassion and kindness towards myself and other people 

I would be fascinated to read how other people with lived experience of delusional thoughts manage them as I sincerely hope for freedom from that sort of thinking 

thank you and best wishes 

melly

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.