Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

flybluebird
Senior Contributor

Peer support Suicide Prevention Resources

Peer support based Suicide prevention resources.

Trigger warning: Post refers to the experience of suicide and seeking help. Please look after yourself by knowing there are these services to contact if you feel like it has brought up any distress for you.

Lifeline: 13 11 14

Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467

If in immediate danger: 000 

It can be hard to know and find appropriate resources for ourselves and/or loved ones with the various experiences of suicide. 

I wanted to make some accessible to those here in the community that might benefit from knowing about some fairly new initiatives that have come about from the governments focus on what they’ve called “Towards zero suicides” initiative. This term is used in the context of reducing the rate of suicide deaths by 2023.

For most of the time folks have had very little options in regards to reaching out when having experiences of crisis and states of distress. 

Thankfully, this is changing.

These are some of the various ones I know about and would love to hear from any members who may know about some on your area.

So have you heard of or tried the Alternatives to Suicide peer groups or Alternative to Emergency Department drop in services that run?

• The peer support groups under the ‘Alternatives to Suicide’ offer a regular group time to talk about experiences of suicide with people who have that lived experience themselves.  This support group which is Australia-wide through zoom - so you can access it online. 
https://alt2su-nsw.net/support-groups/

• The drop in services ‘Alternative to Emergency Department’ are a physical space that people with experiences of distress & thoughts of suicide can seek support in instead of going to the emergency department. The service is staffed with people who have had their own lived experience of SI & can provide peer support. (Often called Safe Haven but different depending on state).
    Each site will have different hours of operation so please contact them for additional information.

Also there is a new program being delivered through the organisation Being which are new online peer groups:

Being Online Groups

Being NSW are hosting 6 week online support groups that are peer facilitated for people experiencing thoughts of suicide. If you have been living with thoughts of suicide, and are looking for more support, there is more information about how to join on their website: https://being.org.au/suicide-support-awareness-program/?mc_cid=5610ca86c4&mc_eid=57b5094c2e

There has been a lot of funding dedicated to these areas over the last couple of years & I have seen many people finding the non-clinical perspective & approach empowering for them. These are dedicated spaces for the purpose of being able to connect with others with a lived experience of similar states when in various states of distress.

So I hope that these might be of use for some of you, and acknowledge the courage of folks living with various states of suicide and the importance of sharing the varying supports that are out there that you may not know are available to you.

Take good care.

In solidarity

Flybluebird

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Peer support Suicide Prevention Resources

Thank you for this, @flybluebird ! 

@flybluebird wrote:
  • The drop in services ‘Alternative to Emergency Department’ are a physical space that people with experiences of distress & thoughts of suicide can seek support in instead of going to the emergency department. The service is staffed with people who have had their own lived experience of SI & can provide peer support. (Often called Safe Haven but different depending on state).

@flybluebird  Is the 'Safe Haven' model a cafe model? 

@Bow  do you think this is the Safe Haven cafe near you, that you mentioned? 

Yes @NatureLover  I believe it would be the safe haven I have spoken about. 

Thank you @flybluebird 

Hello @flybluebird @NatureLover @Bow @petrichor can I ask more about drop in services? I've been to such a thing in my state and have heard they are creating spaces like this. 

@EternalFlower  I don't know anything about them...we will have to wait for others to come along 🙂

Just checked the Being website @flybluebird. At the bottom, it advises it is now closed. but advised to check being.gov.au which takes us back to the same page where it advises it is now closed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.