Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Penny6
Casual Contributor

25 years diagnosed with Bipolar

Hi. Nice to be on here. This is my first time that I have reached out on an on-line capacity to others with a shared experience of mental health problems. I have had the diagnosis of bipolar for 25 years now but there were early signs in my youth of depression and social anxiety/paranoia. I first crashed when I was 27 with a major psychotic episode. Since then I have had several such episodes resulting in hospitalisations. My last one was in May this year. During the episodes I can be well and functioning but for the main part depression and anxiety are present in varying degrees. My awareness and insight has improved over time and I follow the advice of health professionals with regards to taking medication and receiving therapy regularly. My supports from family and friends has been quite good. But I am beginning to feel that they no longer have the capacity to listen to my mental health issues. I believe they love me but I can't help feeling that the impacts of my illness has affected them too over this long duration of time. I have decided for the moment to exclude them in the details of my problems and turn to the professionals and to like minded people who have a shared experience. I look forward to future conversations with whom ever reads this. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 25 years diagnosed with Bipolar

Hello @Penny6 and welcome. I too have a long-standing bipolar diagnosis. Family and friends have largely fallen away. I haven't been hospitalised since my diagnosis but well understand ongoing anxiety and depression.  

I hope you make connections here and find the support you're looking for. 

There's a thread called Let`s talk about Bipolar and there are many social threads and places people catch up and chat about their interests and what's happening in their lives. 

Best wishes 

Dimity

Thanks Dimity. It was nice to hear from you. I shall check out the suggestions you made.

Cheers

@Penny6 Hey Penny6. I read your comments. I feel you have good control over your illness. In regards to your depression and anxiety, I believe it is a matter of reconnecting with your family and friends. Keep your diagnoses a secret. Refrain from ruminating on your illness. I have schizophrenia and I know that talking about my illness to family is a downer for them. I choose to remember my illness in silence. My monthly injection is the only reminder I wish to reflect on my illness. Life is great. Life is a mystery in some parts. Let life overcome your depression  and anxiety. Become your own person. Reliance on therapy is sometimes a necessity, however don't let it become your life. Don't let it dictate your life. Embrace your strengths and passions. Let your passions overcome your depression and anxiety. I know you have a lot to offer this world. Seek it and you will become satisfied. I myself have adopted this principle and it has helped me to overcome my illness. Discuss the things in life you enjoy. Discuss the things in life you embrace. Forget you have an illness. Fill your mind with joy and contentment. What is it that makes you smile ?  I look forward to your response. 

Regards

Wordman 

Hi @wordman 

Thank you for your response. There was plenty of excellent advice in there. I think from now on not mentioning anything about my illness is definitely the way to go. I guess the problem is that I have probably allowed it to dominate my life too much that it leaves little to talk about. But I do want to embrace my passions and joys and make my relationships based on positive experiences. I really do want to become my own person and not be defined by my illness. I give it way too much power. Thanks so much for your comment. Onwards and upwards. Cheers.

@Penny6 Hello Penny6. I am pleased that you understood my words. I believe you are now on a path of true recovery which only yourself will understand how to achieve. May you thoroughly enjoy your passions and joys in life coz you deserve it. Become the person you want to be. Redefine yourself and you will find your illness will no longer have power or hover above and within you. 

Kind Regards

Wordman 

Thank you so much. All the best on your journey. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.