Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

abalone123
Casual Contributor

Depression

• Suffering so much and would love to talk to some positive stories of persons whom have lived through such experience of depression
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Depression

heya @abalone123, welcome to the forums ❤️ I'm a peer worker here, it's nice to e-meet you.

I'm so sorry that you've suffered so much. Depression certainly isn't fair ❤️ I thought I'd tag a few of our community guides to share their story with you and kick-start the convo, if they feel up to it ❤️ 

@AussieRecharger @Judi9877 @Shaz51 @ShiningStar @Flying_Hams @wellwellwellnez 

Welcome again ❤️ 

Thankyou still a little confused finding how to use sane forms🤔

it can be tricky learning about a new platform @abalone123

here is a post on some tips and tricks ❤️ 

And one other tip, when replying to someone, type @ and then their name, and they will be notified!

Hello @abalone123 , @TuxedoCat 😍

how are you going today 

Hi @abalone123 

From personal experience the depression was a long time coming, I fought it for a few years then it just took over. I did feel horrible and I didn't know what to do at first. Sorry, but the medication was awful and I'm not sure if it helped or not. But when I bottomed out you sort of struggle on for a while then get used to it, and hopefully with some time you will start to feel yourself coming out of it. I guess the important thing is not to do anything rash, and to try and remember something positive about yourself or the world. Sometimes it might be one positive thought at a time to help you along.

Welcome, @abalone123 ! I'm sorry you're suffering so much with depression. 😞 I can certainly relate. I've had MDD (major depression) on and off all my life. It's been severe often, with 3 suicide attempts when I was young (I'm 51 now). 

17 years ago I had a major nervous breakdown (=severe depression, where you can't function) lasting 3 years, which I spent in bed. I was intensely suicidal during that time. Since that ended 14 years ago, I haven't had severe depression. What changed for me? It was being referred to an excellent psychiatrist, who immediately changed my anti-depressant to something stronger, at a high dose. She also started talk therapy with me, which started the healing process for me regarding my childhood (actually lifelong) trauma and abuse. 

Also, this is a funny little thing but it really had an effect on me: at the end of those 3 years in bed, someone gave me a bottle of multi-vitamins. This gave me a little bit of energy, enough to start turning things around. 

I had to rebuild my life from scratch, as I'd lost 95% of my friends during the nervous breakdown and also my plans in life. I started volunteering, which gave me new friends and also a purpose, somewhere to go and feel needed. 

I still get some depression sometimes, but it's SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and there's no SI (suicidal ideation) or SH (self harm). It's a different kettle of fish altogether, and much more manageable. 

Do you have any professional support? Like a counsellor, meds, psychologist or psychiatrist?

An important forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

I hope you find the forums supportive...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.