Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

afterhours
Senior Contributor

Feeling isolated, irrevalent, fearful of future

Big Need to feel connected but people don’t understand unless they have experienced similar—-  and there’s a danger of alienating them by burdening too much with my fear and neediness and depression. 
I think that just  a few words”‘in the moment”  when things feel too  hard, would help express genuine feeling  and maybe bring a little bit of human contact — just a few words would help ,.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Feeling isolated, irrevalent, fearful of future

Hey ,
I feel exactly the same most days and at the moment with my mental health flaring up I know I’m exhausting my supports. Your words really resonate because I often feel like they don’t understand and the I realise that even the littlest support helps to just know someone is there even if they can’t understand exactly what I am going through.
I found that really communicating and even on days I don’t want to can help people understand a little of what’s going on which is not easy , vulnerability never is. It’s hard to connect but I think sooner or later people in your life start to not necessarily understanding everything but try and support you as much as they can. I find support forums like this , and places that are safe to share mental health help. But please don’t feel like you are a burden or will alienate people , because we aren’t our mental health and we deserve to have friends and be respected , and even if it means people need to make more effort to understand us . I hope this helped , please know your not alone with feeling that way

Hi @afterhours ,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling like this. I find it hard to speak to others about my depression and anxiety. I have found a lot of support through my partner and on Sane Forum. I do find it makes me feel better knowing I can discreetly discuss how I feel here. I have noticed I'm starting to think more positively since being on Sane Forum. I've had heaps of judgement from complete strangers due to some issues in my life and here I have found a lot of acceptance and genuine concern for me. I've finally realised people do care after so much emotional pain. I do hope I can support others as much as they have me. Have a good day.

@Paulette - thank you for your post. It is so encouraging to hear you find these forums helpful and would like to support others as well.

Thank you Paulette . You can be quite sure that
you have already supported me with your message. It’s good to know you are out there somewhere and I hope the world can be less judgmental towards you., I wish you all the best

Dear @Paulette , I believe the message about is for you. 

@afterhours , when you reply to posts, if you'd like the other member to receive a notification, you can type "@" in front of their username. Like this @afterhours .

Happy posting!

@Paulette
Dear Paulette, I’m rather technically challenged and my reply to your very helpful message may not have gone to you. Thank you- you have helped me already. It’s good to know that you are there and I hope everything continues to improve for you .

@Paulette Re: Feeling isolated, irrevalent, fearful of future
Thank you Paulette . You can be quite sure that
you have already supported me with your message. It’s good to know you are out there somewhere and I hope the world can be less judgmental towards you., I wish you all the best .
This is my original reply repeated . I’m not very good with the technology but wl try to improve and show more appreciation . Thanks so much for generously making me feel much more “connected” when you are dealing with unhappy issues of your own. I wish you all the beat. Thinking of you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.