Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Omy
Casual Contributor

HELP

Hi Everyone, I hope I can get some assistance please. Adult son is currently in mental health. He has been there 5 days. They have changed his meds and he is not coping. He is talking about walking out. It was a voluntrary admission.  I dont know what to do from here. He is on so many meds now.  I am worried he wont stay. What can he expect from this place. Thank you appreciate any help 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: HELP

Hey @Omy ,

Sorry to hear about your son. Sounds so stressful for you and him!

Usually, drs like to see meds stabilising clients before discharge. But if your son is ready and able to have his symptoms monitored outside the hospital, is not in danger to himself or others, and wants to leave, there’s nothing that can really stop him. After all, it definitely doesn’t feel like a holiday in there!

“What to expect?” You ask… well.. pretty much just medication and referrals to your regular dr, pdoc for follow up. I’m not sure of the reason for your son’s admission so I can’t say much.

It is different for everyone. If you have concerns, it’s good to speak to the treating team directly.

At this point, I hope you can find some self care and support for yourself.

BPDSurvivor

Omy
Casual Contributor

Thank you for your reply, sadly he is a danger to himself thats the reason for admittance. I have calmed him down for tonight. He feels they are just drugging him and not treating him? If that makes sense? 

Thankfully I have learnt self care is vital for me to cope. I am doing well thank you. Stress is not good for our health. 

I am not sure how else to help my son. 

Thank you all. 

I hear you @Omy ,

Probably his idea of 'drugging' him is part of his illness.

I hope his admission will be one where his medication can help stabilise him. It's a trying time for you, so I'm glad to hear you realise the need to include self care into your daily routine.

Have you been able to speak to the treating team?

Sitting with you,

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.