Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Harlequin
New Contributor

Hello!

Hi!

This is my first time engaging here.  I watched the Sane Impact forum today and realised I have been missing out on an opportunity to connect with others of like experience and maybe even to make a contribution.  Hence here I am! 

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 fifteen years ago.  I have been medicated effectively and managing my condition fairly well for the past 5 years or so - it took many years and a long hospital stay to get to this point. 

I find the inconsistencies that are hallmarks of this condition to be the most difficult to accept and tolerate - the feeling ok for a little while, and then not.  Sometimes I have days of feeling functional and content, occasionally it's even weeks.  Sometimes it's only enough hours to get a task done or have some sort of interaction before I collapse in a drained heap. 

Then I become insular and isolated - I am unable to stop myself from holding those who might support me at arms length. I become lonely, despondent and... you know how it goes.

I have never consciously met another person who has been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, so sometimes I feel like I'm the only weirdo in the world!  I know this isn't true, so hello to you all!

With warm regards

Harlequin

7 REPLIES 7
Captain24
Senior Contributor

Re: Hello!

Hi @Harlequin 

Welcome to the forums.

Meet a fellow Bipolar 2 weirdo! My diagnosis is only recent so the psychiatrist is still trying to find the right combination of meds. 

I understand the inconsistencies and rapid cycles! The spending most of your time in the low moods. Then the high moods may last for a couple of hours or last a couple of days and crash badly afterwards. 

Paperdaisy
Peer Support Worker

Welcome to the forums @Harlequin Thanks for being here and sharing your story. I'm glad to hear you are managing pretty well. It must not be easy and I really admire your strength and determination! 

Zoe7
Community Guide

Hi @Harlequin and welcome to the community 😁

tyme
Community Lead

I watched the Impact Update today too @Harlequin ! I was impressed - all along, I knew there was impact, but to actually see the figures made it all the more powerful!

There were certainly heart felt moments knowing the positive impact of the SANE services for those experiencing complex mental health.

I felt very refreshed after watching it.

As for your story, thank you so much for sharing! I look forward to connecting with you throughout the forums.

chibam
Senior Contributor

Hi @Harlequin ! Welcome to the forums! 🙂

It sounds like your already making some new connections with people who can relate to your situation. I'm sure you'll find this site a great place to make more!

Whim
Senior Contributor

Hi Harlequin,

I'm glad you have found this space. I have always found it to be very supportive and can help ease feelings of isolation or 'no-one gets it/me'.

I am just recovering from a bad episode of depression where I needed to be hospitalised. I have a diagnosis of BP 2 which I am not 100% certain is accurate and have had healthy debates with my psychiatrist - a lovely man. 

It sounds like it has been a long road for you but I'm so pleased to hear that things have been going better the last few years. Ah the ups and downs and twists n turns off the condition hey? I hear you when you describe the challenges, very hard indeed.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and welcome.

Whim.

Hello @Harlequin , @Whim , @chibam , @tyme , @Zoe7 , @Captain24 , @Paperdaisy 

Click on this thread Let`s talk about Bipolar and meet some awesome members 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.