Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

ja96
Casual Contributor

Hey, newbie here!!

Hello everyone, I have just joined tonight after looking at the link for a month or two. 
This is a big step for me and I honestly don’t know what to expect. I could enjoy it or I could feel totally overwhelmed and disengage, who knows. 
I am 26 and a mum of 3, I haven’t been officially diagnosed with a mental health issue but I have been through trauma in my childhood (which in the recent years I’ve realised I haven’t dealt with it), and just feel completely disengaged from society. 
I’m here because I took a mental health survey, and the results showed I was showing signs of extremely severe depression, anxiety and stress and I feel like I can’t cope anymore. 
I haven’t gone to seek any help from a GP due to bad past experiences where a GP said my results were boarder line but still sent me away. 

Like I said I’m not sure what to get out of this but fingers crossed I find my answer, whatever that may be. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hey, newbie here!!

Hey @ja96 ,

Welcome to the forums! 

I hope you'll be able to connect with others here with similar stories, and feel a little less alone.

I hear you've seen a GP in the past regarding your mental health. Are you able to look around for another GP you may feel more comfortable with? Unfortunately, as these forums are peer led, we don't have the authority to diagnose - however, we can share our enriching experiences and stories. 

Whatever label or whatever your survey results, know your experiences and feelings are real and valid. 

I admire your strength in reaching out and giving these forums a go! I hope other members will be able to shed light on some of what you are feeling right now.

You are not alone,

tyme

Welcome @ja96  Raising three kids whilst dealing with anxiety and depression would be exhausting and hoping you can find some time during your day to just be with you. Finding an understanding GP would be a good start and he/she could organise a mental health care plan with a psychologist or counsellor which would give you,I think 6 free or heavily discounted sessions for a start. Please be gentle on yourself and reach out anytime. Hoping this helps 🙏

Hi @ja96     I too am still relatively new here. I have had issues for years. Many times I tried to find a group like this. It is well moderated, the people are genuine and suggestions are well meant. In the past all I could find were chatrooms that were full of scumbags and a lot of bad language

My ex Sister in Law asked her Mental Health Care Nurse and she said SANE is excellent.

I don't believe that 1 size fits all, but Welcome and congratulations on taking the step.

I hear what you are saying about Doctors. Been down that kind of road myself. I have been lucky enough to have a very good doctor for many years. The downside to that is that she is so popular she is usually running quite late.

I really hope you find a good doctor. One that will listen to you and treat you seriously.

Meantime, I hope you find good support here, as I have.

Regards.   IsAnybodyThere.

Hi and welcome, @ja96 , it's good to have you here 🙂

If you have another GP near you that you could try, it would definitely be worth it I reckon. They can write you a Mental Health Care Plan which entitles you to 10 (20 during Covid) subsidised sessions with a psychologist per year. The only thing is, psychologists are so in demand at the moment that there would be several months' wait to get in, up to 6 months even, and some aren't even taking new patients at the moment. 

But having a counsellor (psychologist) has done wonders for me and resulted in a lot of healing over many years. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

Good luck on your journey 🙂

Thank you so much. It’s nice knowing I’m not alone in this madness. 

Hi @ja96 , I saw psychologists after my first and second children, then after my third I still saw a psychologist but also went on antidepressants.  I would agree to find another GP and ask for a mental health plan and referral to a psychologist.  Unfortunately sometimes we have to tell the doc what we need, not ask!  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.