Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Losingit
Casual Contributor

Struggling through COVID and pregnancy

Hi all

Not sure where to start, except to say I’m really struggling with sky high anxiety at the moment. I’m pregnant and terrified of COVID, and have spent 2 years doing my absolute best to avoid it. Just found out I was exposed to someone with covid on Friday and it’s totally sent me into a tailspin. I’m so mentally exhausted but also completely wired with worry. I’d love to hear from you good folk in a similar situation - how have you/are you handling it? Absolutely none of my coping mechanisms are working (gentle exercise, meditation, drawing) and I can’t see any way out of this never-ending torment that is anxiety and panic. Thank you

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Struggling through COVID and pregnancy

Hi @Losingit ,

Thank you for posting. 

Welcome to the forums. 

I used to have a lot of anxiety around catching COVID - not because I worried about being sick, but more worried about having to be stuck in isolation. To reduce the anxiety, I've re-framed my thinking from "If I get COVID..." to "When I get COVID..." There are people around me all the time who have COVID. Luckily I haven't got it - YET. However, today, my niece was at my house. She was just lying there so I gave her a RAT. She ended up positive so I sent her home. I give plenty of hugs and kisses to this niece, so I'm waiting to see when I'll get it.

I actually had a work colleague who got COVID while pregnant. She didn't have any issues. Symptoms were mild.

I'd encourage you to just take the normal precautions like wearing a mask, washing hands, social distancing etc. Besides that, I'm not sure what else you can do.

Do you have a therapist or someone you can speak to about your anxiety?

All the best with your pregnancy,

tyme

Hi @Losingit and welcome to the forum,

I haven’t had COVID and have, somehow avoided it so far, however a niece who is pregnant has been terrified she’d get it. One of her kids came home with it and “kindly” shared it with the whole family except the 2 year old! My niece was so scared but she came through it all ok…of course her hubby had the “more serious version”…man COVID! He too has since recovered. The baby is due next week.

My niece was very anxious but everything has turned out ok so I hope this encourages you and that as long as you receive good medical care and take all precautions you’ll be ok.

Good luck 💙💕

Thanks @tyme Yes I have a psychologist but I don’t feel like it’s helping. I’ve seen a psych for years and that’s part of the depression - I never feel like I’m making progress. And I’ll never be “cured”. I like your re-frame around “when” and I’ll be sure to try this. I’m sure it is only a matter of time unfortunately. Good luck with your niece!

Thanks @Eve7 . One of my main concerns is that I’m an older mum (42) so squarely in the high risk category. I read about other people

having mild to moderate symptoms and, of course, first thing I think is “well that clearly won’t be the case for me” 😔

Hey @Losingit ,

You made a good point there. I remember my years of psychologist sessions. I never saw progress and was getting down about it, particularly because it was such a commitment to go each week.

But alas, when I finished treatment and was sent into the 'big bad world', I HAD to utilise the skills I had been taught. When I saw a change, i internally said 'wow, i actually did it!' and the more this happened, the more I was able to look back and see how far I'd come.

Now of course everyone's journey is different. For me, I didn't see my HUGE growth until AFTER a period of therapy sessions. I guess I used the 'break' times to put in practice the things I'd gained from therapy.

Also, then during my therapy breaks (might be 4-8 weeks break), I'd note down all the things I wanted to go through and discussed with my therapist. That way, my sessions were super helpful. Therapy has worked wonders for me, but I always make sure I do my homework in between sessions.

Something else to be mindful of is pre- post-natal depression. Pregnancy can send your body into whack. If you have concerns, it's good to speak to a professional.

Sorry for rambling.

Looking forward to hearing how you go for the remainder of your pregnancy. 

tyme

@Losingit wrote:

“well that clearly won’t be the case for me” 😔

Would it be a good idea to cross this bridge when and if you get there? That might help settle the anxiety.

tyme

My niece is 38 so not that much younger @Losingit 

I agree with @tyme “to cross the bridge when you come to it”. One day at a time…preparing for a. baby causes anxiety but there’s also the excitement of giving birth to your own human. You will be a great Mum.

Ah i wish I could have such a breakthrough. I’ve spent years in and out seeing different psychs (including one specifically for post-natal anxiety/depression after my first son’s birth) but I feel like I’m not closer to peace than I am to the moon. It’s a never ending battle and, to be honest, I’m quite tired of the battle. I just want to be “normal” 🥹

@Losingit ,

That's a very common statement "I just want to be normal" - I said this many many times. The more I said this, the more depressed I became. I think it was because I wanted something that actually doesn't exist. What is normal?

When I finally 'let go' of this desire (and I mean really let go, not just saying I let go), things turned - for the better.

I hope you find the support you need to help you make that transition. But definitely, it would be good to speak to someone who can monitor signs of depression during pregnancy.

In the meantime, feel free to connect to others here on the forums. These forums were a Godsend to me during my recovery.

Kindest,

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.