Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Where do you get your health information?

Hi Forumites,

Just wondering, when you want information about mental illness and mental health - where do you go?

Just out of pure speculation, I'm just avoiding writing essays right now. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Where do you get your health information?

@Former-Member 

First my mom dad & priests .. and that was a big mistake .. listening to any docs I was lucky to see as a kid ... as a teen ..putting 2+2 together from early basic scientific studies .. as a mum .. hubby reading talking docs .. as access to good sources improved .. my knowledge grew exponentially .. now I have a customised alert from medscape.

Cheers

@Former-Member are you looking for information about mental illness for study?

If this is the case, I usually go to peer reviewed academic journals, and books. If it's for my own personal interest, reputable internet sites, such as Black Dog Institute, SANE Australia, Beyond Blue

Hi @CherryBomb,

Thank you.

I was more just wondering where people got their health information from. So do people google, or go to certain sites, their doctor, pastor, friends, family etc?

I'm not after specfic health information per se, I'm after infromation about where people get their information from. There are some studies on this in Australia by the department of health, I was just wondering (procrastinating) what sane forum people did to obtain information about their mental illness. I know my 1st port of call is Wiki, then peer reviewed journals, but I have a degree in medical science. I was wondering what people of different backgrounds did?

@CherryBomb- since you've responded with what you do, can I ask how do you 'know' a site is reputable?

You see, I was looking for some health info and I had no idea about the science behind it, so I had no idea if the information I was looking at was "good" or not and I had no idea how to verify the information. So I was wondering if people are reliant on marketing, or affiliation with known sources or what else might influence us to trust a source of information as 'good' information.

I should stop procrastinating.......!

@Former-Member wrote:

@CherryBomb- since you've responded with what you do, can I ask how do you 'know' a site is reputable?

This is a great question @Former-Member. You can usually have a look around a website, and look into an organisation's governance and structure, and an explanation about what they do. It usually outlines the work they do, who is doing it, and sometimes it has their qualifications. Information provided should also provide references on where they get their information from. Does that help?!

How's the procrastination going? Should I remind you to get back to work? Smiley Wink

i am a healthcare student, so i know most of things that i can use. I am all about home remedies, but also, I would say if you are looking for providers then that would be something else. It depends upon where you live and since in the internet that  would be base  on where you are. I try to stick to the same providers when I find things that I may need.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.