Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Teej
Community Elder

Why did lifeline cut their chat service hours?

Why have the chat service hours been cut down so much through lifeline? There is hardly any services that offer this. Suicide call back is impossible to get onto through chat. It's seems like it's making it harder not easier to get help during the night. 😟

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Why did lifeline cut their chat service hours?

Hey dear @Teej

Sorry to hear this, but I called Lifeline on 131114 just the other morning after 12 am.  I thought they were open 24 hrs/ 7 days per week.  It is free from a mobile and only the cost of a local call by landline.   

Thanks @BambiFawn. The call service is still 24/7. It's the online chat they've cut. It used to be available until 4:00am now it's midnight. 

oh okay dear @Teej, it must be to do with funding or something. Glad the counsellors are still avail by phone.  It is an excellent service and has saved my life.  

@Teej yes, I struggle to get through to chat on SCBS. It's a shame if services are being cut. More and more people need them. Sometimes I prefer online chat to actually speaking.

@Sans911

I agree, most times I prefer online chat because sometimes  when I phone a counselling service, depending on the person or the voice who answers, I won't speak and then I hang up, even if I'm desperate to talk to someone.

@Teej @BambiFawn, yes, we really do need more funding for these services!!!!

Take care, all.

YES

Many people in crisis can still type but not speak, or speak so easily, are in the middle of a big voiceless cry, or are triggered by qualities in the voice they hear pick up.

I just googled it and apparently, Lifeline is being cut everywhere. There is no longer a call centre in the Northern Territory due to funding cuts. Sad really, because it is such a necessary service.

I just read on the ABC radio website that Lifeline in Queensland has been restructured with cuts to some services. Apparently, they won't affect the phone service but we shall soon see I guess. I gave up a long time ago actually calling Lifeline, I participate in their webchat service instead. I find it incredibly scripted however. The reason I gave up on calling them was because of one of their counsellors getting angry at me when I said I was suicidal. She was like "How do you think I will feel if I know you are going to commit suicide?" I thought that was highly unprofessional.

Hi Everyone,
I have not found lifeline useful. Usually I have been passed to different organisations and then only to be directed back to lifeline.
Perhaps they are down sizing Lifeline in perpetration for the new online strategies to help people.
I’m working on a program now that offers instant help for people in need in the way of video recordings, group connections with people going through the same thing and yearly mentoring to get back on track. I’m not a professional Counselor, psychiatrist or psychologist but I am someone who’s been down that road and known too many people that live in depression, anxiety or have taken their life.
If anyone has any tips, feedback or criticisms that can can help me on this project it would be appreciated.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.