Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Wait what did I come into this thread for again? Oh yeah, ADHD!

Hey all! I decided to kick start a sweet little space for us to gather and talk ADHD!! 

You can read the Topic Tuesday discussion (at which I was a guest) here

Some of my go to resources: 

ADDitude - Online Magazine/resource for all things ADHD

Three Pillars - My preference for explaining the experience of ADHD without relying on the DSM-V (scroll to bottom and work your way up the list)

How to ADHD - A Youtube channel with tips, tricks, strategies, how to guides, life hacks, you name it

Russel Barkley - a world renowned psychiatrist who has been at the forefront of research into ADHD, its neurochemical markers, and its impacts on daily experience, particularly in regards to executive dysfunction. The link is to an hour-long video aimed at parents of kids with ADHD. He also has one for adults with ADHD (with actionable tips!).

This is a space to talk about your experiences, struggles, strategies, and just an all-round safe spot to be a big pile of chaotic energy right here!! 

355 REPLIES 355

Re: Wait what did I come into this thread for again? Oh yeah, ADHD!

Wonderful  @Jynx 😀👋

I just watched a few of the How To ADHD videos on YouTube. They are so relatable! 

I might need to watch the one on Rejection Sensitivity a few times 

Yes they're brilliant ay @greenspace! I found the one about the 'wall of awful' to be particularly enlightening! I think it's titled something about motivation? And yeah the rejection sensitivity stuff can be a bit of a gut punch. The third pillar in 'The Three Pillars' blog I linked above goes into it! 

Hey @Shaz51 hehe glad you made it 💜

Thank you all so much for all the information on the forum from tonight.  I am crying with the newfound knowledge.  So tired of blaming myself and being blamed.  Have yet to find appropriate help.

Hi @Jenn1, welcome to the ADHD community. 

Best wishes for finding all the support you need.

So glad you were able to take something away from it @Jenn1 It's so validating to have those 'aha' moments. I wish you all the best 😊

@Jenn1 I'm so glad it was helpful for you. I think this is that 'relief' I spoke about - it can be a bit of a process, but being able to move to a space of self-acceptance and even empowerment is so incredible! I hope it also helps to know you're not alone 🤗

I wish you much luck on your journey and really hope you can find the right support SO soon 🤞💜

Thank you Jynx. 💜

Hi all,

I'm so glad to see an ADHD thread that is for discussing life in general with ADHD and not targetted specifically toward meds! Whilst I wasn't able to attend the Topic Tuesday event, some lovely people guided me there and I was able to have a read afterward. @Jynx so much of what you said was so relatable to me (not least of all your meme, haha). The time blindness, the hyperfocus, the "nothing wrong, nothing wrong, nothing wrong, EXPLODE!". Most particularly working memory - before my diagnosis I genuinely wondered at times if I had some sort of early onset dementia, it's scary bad sometimes.

Also @Bristle - I hear you about hyperfocus being the driving force for getting a house (congrats, by the way), it was like that for me. Buying the house, keeping the house after breaking up with the ex, getting another house when I got driven out of it by a nightmare neighbour - hyperfocus and that ADHD ability to function under extreme stress got me thought that.  @greenspace - the stuff you said on how you felt after diagnosis resonated with me, too. It's definitely a grieving process, but also it's worth acknowledging our strategies and successes along the way - we worked hard to function at all in a society that works against us on so many levels. I'm in my 40s, and only diagnosed last year. Holy cow it explained so much!

@Jenn1- I felt that way too when I started learning more about ADHD. It's an ongoing process. You're not alone with it.

Kind thoughts to all,

AFK

PS Yeah, I know I'm verbose, call it hyperfocus on the topic.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.