Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JustJstar
Casual Contributor

Friend with extreme delusions of grandeur and persecution

A close friend has extreme delusions.
My friend has been diagnosed Bipolar, the same diagnosis as me, but I’m unfamiliar with delusions and how to be a support friend despite the ‘nonsense’ as I don’t present with this symptom myself. 
It is becoming so extreme that it’s effecting my mental health. 
My friend is currently in a mental health ward, but I fear they will not get the help they need. 
I don’t want to walk away, but I’m not sure there’s anything I can do.
want to know how others deal or have successfully dealt with someone close to them who fully believes in their delusions and who will not accept any alternative views. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Friend with extreme delusions of grandeur and persecution

Hello @JustJstar and welcome to the forum 

Letting you know that you are not alone in this 

Click on this link Let`s talk about Bipolar 

And will tag some members  for you @frog , @greenpea , @Dimity , @Olga , @eth , @HenryX 

How are you going today xx 

Hello @JustJstar and hi @Shaz51 

Welcome to the forums.  Your friend is very lucky to have your concern and support in their illness  especially your being able to recognise their delusions are part of this phase of their illness and will pass. Your friend is in the best place to receive care but it can take a few days for treatment (often medication) to ease the symptoms.  Just being there for your friend in a non-judgemental way is perhaps the greatest gift you can give them as they navigate recovery with the help of their professional supports. It's possible they'll experience a let down after the delusions ease and need extra encouragement. As someone who has experienced delusions I've been very grateful for  (and humbled by) family and friends who've stood by me. A brief cheery visit to the hospital or a supportive message might be very welcome and you don't need to contend with what they may be thinking or saying which is after all just the illness.

Thankyou for caring enough to reach out on these forums.  

Dimity

Hi @JustJstar 

How are you going? Have you heard how your friend is going in hospital?

hanami 💮

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.