Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

RachSANECEO

SANE Lived Experience Advisory Committee - call for Expressions of Interest

Hello Forum Members

I am very pleased to share with you that SANE is forming a Lived Experience Advisory Committee (LEAC), to play an advisory role reporting to the SANE Board of Directors. This is a big new step for SANE, in recognition of our commitment to 'nothing about us, without us' and being lived experience led at every level.

Dr Owen Harris, recently appointed to the SANE Board in a Lived Experience role will Co-Chair the committee and we are seeking six additional members including a Co-chair

You can read more about Owen, and other Board Members here: https://www.sane.org/about-sane/board-members-and-patrons 

You might be interested to know that the new SANE lived experience framework commits SANE to a majority of lived experience on the board (currently 100% of SANE Board directors identify as having either a personal lived experience of mental health issues, or experience as a family member or support person for someone else who has a lived experience of mental health issues. My role is also an identified role - because I have my own experience of mental health issues and also lived experience as a carer and support person, and we are proud to have lived experience leadership at every level of SANE.

We are seeking expressions of interest (EOI) for appointment to the LEAC. This invitation for Expressions of Interest will also be shared publicly via our LinkedIn and other channels.

Expression of Interest Form

Respecting anonymity

I realise how valuable and critical your anonymity is as members of the SANE forums, and that for many of you that may mean you would prefer not to participate, however I also wanted to make sure you were aware of this opportunity to contribute to SANE’s overall direction.

The EOI form, and appointment to the Committee does not ask for, or require you to disclose your forum name – however it does ask for your email address.

SANE staff with Moderator access do have the technical ability to link email address to forum username and while that won’t be our plan or purpose, I realise that if you would like to submit an EOI for this committee you will need to consider whether you are comfortable disclosing your identity to SANE.

We are happy to consider EOIs from Forum members who would like their name withheld from any public documents listing Committee members.

The EOI form will take approximately 10-20 minutes to complete; and will be open for just over one week. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted and asked to share and may be invited to an interview.

This EOI form will close at 5:00pm on 6 April 2023. 

I acknowledge this is a short timeframe – we are using a fast process to form an initial committee for 12 months; so that this committee can develop and finalise:

• Committee Charter 
  • Workplan/Priority areas of focus including oversight of co-design related to SANE programs and services
  • Design longer term committee composition, roles, processes for appointment and term length.

Data collected in the form will be managed in accordance with SANE's privacy policy available here: https://www.sane.org/privacy

Applicants will need to confirm they can commit to the time required which includes:

• Attending four committee meetings per year via videoconference for maximum two hours.
  • Undertaking 1-2 hours preparation and follow up where required.
  • Attending the first introductory meeting on Monday 24 April 10:00am - 11:00am AEST.

SANE aims to select a diverse group of committee members for a 12-month term, after which the Committee will undertake further recruitment or extension of terms may occur - at the discretion of the Co-Chairs and the SANE board.

Successful Committee members will be required to complete a police check, working with children check, and provide references. SANE will cover the costs of these processes, in line with our Volunteer Framework.

The LEAC is an advisory committee, membership will be on a volunteer basis.

SANE's paid participation policy applies to these roles, which means that Committee Members will receive a small payment of $120.00 for preparing and attending each committee meeting (Co-chair receives a higher rate of $200 per committee meeting).

SANE will contact applicants who have progressed to the shortlist stage as well advise applicants that they have been unsuccessful within April.

I look forward to receiving your EOIs.

Other opportunities coming up

There are also other opportunities coming up soon as mentioned in some of my previous posts:

• Forum Codesign - Initial input: we will reach out to Forum Members who put their hand up in reply to previous posts to form initial small working groups to 'design the process, help design the initial surveys and format for seeking broad and deep design input from members about the future of the forums, their design, functionality and purpose. 
  • Forum Codesign process - this will involve a mix of surveys, chat/text based discussions, workshops and design groups - exact process and format still to be determined.
  • We will be sure to communicate these opportunities here in posts on the forums as well as via EDMs for the bigger surveys and engagement opportunities.

Questions and comments

As always I value and respect your input as members, I am a huge believer in lived experience, member-led design and governance.

I'm also a busy Mum with a really full on job leading what is actually a pretty small organisation in comparison to some of the bigger (better funded) orgs - so it might take me a little while to reply.

Please be assured that I do read all the replies on posts I make to the forums, but I will ask you to be patient with me - I am quick to read but it might take me a few days to pop a reply in.

I've asked @Peregrinefalcon to help keep an eye on this post and tag members who might be interested as well.

Thanks Forum Members!

Rachel

CEO

SANE

1 REPLY 1

Re: SANE Lived Experience Advisory Committee - call for Expressions of Interest

This is really cool. Maybe something for me in the future if the option is still available in 2024
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.