Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Kanny
Casual Contributor

detained under the mental health act

Evening, 

I was wondering what experiences you all have had regarding detention under the mental health act. 

What was the outcome ?

What support was offered / as a out patient ?

Thanks K

17 REPLIES 17

Re: detained under the mental health act

Hello @Kanny,

This is a really interesting topic that you have brought up, a person must be quite unwell to be held in hospital involuntarily. I have found some more information on this website which explains (better than I can) and in more detail the type of treatment a patient is to receive once they are discharged from hospital care.

http://mhrm.mhcc.org.au/chapter-4/4c.aspx

Take care,

Genevieve

Hi @Kanny

Outcomes vary from individual to individual. For some people, it's a short stay, for others it can be the start of long stay. It depends on a variety of factors. But as @Lunar has pointed out, involuntary admission generally requires people to be quite unwell.

May I ask what has prompted you to ask these questions? Hopefully, we can give you a bit more information and advice. 

CherryBomb

Hi Cherrybomb

Long story short, after going missing for 18 hours( My partner) on Boxing day and me filing a missing persons report with the police, he eventualy came home on his own accord. The following day he was very depressed and agitated, due to conversations regarding our realationship, He talked of suiside so much so I grab the keys so he could no leave and called the police, 

2 police cars arrived and ambulance, he went quite willing , which I was suprised but was def not happy when he was detained under the mental health act in a phyicatric ward in a public hospital. 

The phyicatric ward was as was told by me by a Dr was a band aid, well that band aid was ripped of after 5 days with very little outcome, It was NYE and they had expected a big infulx of patients. 

I was hoping to get some information from others with the process of detention.

Sorry tried to make it short and clear as you all understand , conversation like this are hard to keep short, 

thanks Kan

Thank you Lunar, I will have a read, 

Just also wondering does the mental health act veri from state to state or are these laws and guidlines federal ? 

K x

Hi @Kanny - great question. The laws are the responsibility of the state.

So you may have to look up the one most relevant to where you are.

Nik

Hello @Kanny

Usually people are detained if they are seen as in danger of harming themselves or someonelse.

Once taken to the hospital, police take the person in their vehicle, the person is assessed by a psychiatrist as to whether or not they need to be detained. In this state that is referred to as an internal treatment order, ITO. As others have said the length of detainment, whether or not they are given medication, willingly or unwillingly all differs from person to person and the exact nature of their illness.

again the length of their detainment depends on whether or not they are receiving medication, the nature of the medication and whether or not the person is aware that they are unwell.

They can be discharged under a community treatment order, CTO, if they are required to have compulsory treatment in which case they have to report to an assigned team to receive the medication, for the period nominated. They are supposed to have a counsellor, psychologist, psychiatrist assigned to assess the ongoing effect of their illness. This would not be the case for depression and anxiety.

The CTO is not effective in another state, so if the person leaves the state, they can only be picked up by police if a missing person report is filed. If the police assess that the person is not dangerous and appears to be well (not sure how they can assess this) they report back to whoever filed the report such and report is cancelled.

Therefore the medication is not continued. The person is not under the care of any medical person, or support worker.

In the case of depression and anxiety, your partner can go to his gp, ask for a 12 month plan with a psychologist or psychiatrist who can change, if needed, medication and moderate it's effectiveness.

With mental illness, the onus is on the person themselves, they can only improve if they want to work at it. If they are an adult you would only be able to receive information re their health if they have consented.

It is a very hard place for both of you. Just remember that your partner is still the same person just affected by his illness at this stage and yes needs help and compassion.

I wish you both all the best during this difficult time.

thRe: detained under the mental health act

Thank you for your wealth of knowledge,very helpful,

As far as I am aware no further assistance has been ofered. 

Just sent home with the same script as prevously given over 2 years ago. 

I have been a advocate for my partner of 30 years for a very long time , and also my daughter who suffers from OCD, Anxiety disorders and trickatellamania ( yes I have no idea how to spell it ) . but due to stress and exhaustion I have given up on being my partners advocate and chasing down the mental health practiioners. 

My daughter is doing quite well, which I put down to the years of hard work I did when she was younger and have installed the fundementals of CBT . 

But when It comes to my parnter who is a adult , the lessons are harder leanrt. 

I guess Im once again dissipointed the the mental health system. 

I will now look up the laws of the state I live in . 

Thank you for your replies 

K x 

Re: thRe: detained under the mental health act

hello @Kanny

I hope that you have some support from carer angle. Carers Australia? Carers forum you are using which is good. keep talking on here.

I have just appointed someone as my advocate to deal with a difficult work situation that has been going on for nearly 3 years. I have come to a stage where my health has been further affected so much that I looked into finding an advocate to help me with the union who are adding angst to the situation even though they are meant to be representing , advocating , for me re work issue.

it took many phone calls i can tell you. so........... if you are tenacious as i am and believe in standing up for your rights, standing by your values there would be an organisation in your state providing advocacy.

search through the disability area as mental illness seems to be clumped into that area.

you have been the advocate for a very long time.... 30years.... time for you to get some help...do not think that you have failed in any shape or form. that is very important. the mental health system is a huge gigantic mountain to tackle. manned with many apathetic dinosaurs. there are some very good people also but they are in the minority and their hands are tied due to the bureaucracy.

I must add just in case anyone reading this is thinking, that i go on and on. When I finally found the organisation, the principal advocate was very disciplined in her approach. I asked the question am I making things worse for myself. her response....... definitely not... she wants to go even further.

good luck

Thank you for your reply , very informative indeed.
I have always been the advocate for many ppl , at work and in my personal life.
I do not feel I have failed , but feeling my partner is failing himself , by not taking care of him self and sticking to his medication , as a type 1 diabetic ii have no choice but to inject 6 times a day .
The pressure of my partner is effecting my health .

But apologise from him only band aid the years of hurt / dussipoint I now feel.

I will attempt to put more effort into my health and mental health .
I need to get my fight back
Thanks
K x
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.