Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

TideisTurning
Peer Support Worker

Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi Everyone, 

On Tuesday, 27th September, we'd like to invite you to join us for a discussion centred around Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) ahead of BPD Awareness Week on 1-7 OctoberBPD is a complex mental health issue that can be very distressing for the person and for the friends, family and carers close to them. In this discussion, we will be joined by one of our Community Guides and a special guest from Spectrum Health to talk about accessing treatment, stigma and the importance of ‘Seeing The Person’.  

September TT See The Person.jpg

For ease of reference, the times across Australia are in the graphic and listed below; 

TideisTurning_0-1662611473753.png

Western Australia: 5pm 
Northern Territory & South Australia: 6:30pm 

Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria & Tasmania: 7pm 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below and we will tag you 30 minutes before the event starts. 

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

Hopefully see you there in the chat on the night!

101 REPLIES 101

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

Just tagging everyone who has supported the post so far to receive a reminder. We will be starting in about 15 minutes @Laz85 @Amandakc @JoGill @Krakatoa @Rosemary4 @QueerPenguin @Tanager81 @Bow @Odin62 @puzzlingdino @Noor001 @AT67 @Abner @Bill16 @BlueBay @Chloe3 @David29 @Determined @EternalFlower @Fluttershy1 @Jacques @ArraDreaming @M_P90 @Meowmy @Silverlinin @TAB @creative_writer 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th September 2022 7-8:30PM AEST

hi @TideisTurning  i would like to join but i need to chat to a counsellor online first.  

few things i need to sort out in my head.  i will come on later. sorry

Hi guys Thanks but no Thanks. I must have a mental block about Tuesdays . Not up to it. @TideisTurning  thanks for the tag though 

No worries @BlueBay. Do what you need to do and you're more than welcome to join us in a little while when you can 😊
No worries @TAB 

Welcome to everyone joining us or reading along tonight. We would first like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the various lands across Australia we are all joining this discussion from. We pay deep respect to the Elders of those Countries, past and present, and we further extend that respect to any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people with us tonight, reading along, or reading back.  

Ahead of BPD Awareness Week from 1-7  October, we are joined tonight by @Alex_Spectrum  & @BPDSurvivor for a discussion about BPD.  

Good Evening 

@Ferylgirl @confused_nomad @Peacelovejojo @xtine @Shaz51 @Judi9877 @RainbowDash @Canima 🙂

Just thought you may be interested in our BPD Topic Tuesday beginning now 🙂

Hi Everyone! I will invite @Alex_Spectrum  & @BPDSurvivor to introduce themselves.
I’d also really like to hear from our community about what your experience is with BPD (as much as you’re
comfortable to share)/ what's brought you here and what, if anything you’re hoping to get out of the discussion tonight (including any questions you might have)  😊 @Millieme 

I'm coming to this from a tenuous place. I was diagnosed with BPD while I was in I was in the midst of an abusive relationship. This was not picked up until quite late into treatment. While DBT was great for me, I don't think I've gained anything from the label. In fact my perpetrator and family weaponised it against me to say I was lying about the abuse. It was super easy for them to go online, type in "BPD" and find supporting evidence for their character attack on me.

As I've left violence and come to understand my life through a developmental trauma lens (the coercive control started in my family origin), my emotion dysregulation makes a lot more sense than it did when it was viewed in isolation. 

I am not saying my case accounts for every diagnosis, but all the vitriol and hatred attached to the label "BPD" felt like further oppression for me. I don't see myself as someone with BPD, and certainly now I wouldn't even meet DSM diagnosis, but I wonder how helpful is it for anyone? Do we need this label? How much do this label risk de-contextualising symptoms from context and further oppressing the already marginalised ? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.