Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting loved ones living with BPD // Tuesday 25th January, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

Welcome @tyme, we are so happy to have you here as our guest tonight sharing your experience of living with BPD 🙂

Look forward to learning alongside our community tonight and hearing your insights from experience 🙂

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting loved ones living with BPD // Tuesday 25th January, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT

Thanks @Daisydreamer 

as a person with BPD i find it hard for hubby to understand.  so what could i do for hubby to understand BPD a bit better.  I feel that the carers must find it extremely difficult to know what to do because of our fluctuating emotions.

So let’s start with, What is Borderline Personality Disorder?

In lay terms, BPD is a mental health condition that affects thought and behaviour patterns in a way that hinders functionality in society. Put it this way… if a person with BPD (pwBPD) lived on an island all by themselves, no one would know their BPD existed. The marked difference between a borderline and a non-borderline is their ability to form and maintain healthy relationships. So, when another person is placed on this island… it’s great at first, but soon, things change…

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 2.27.41 pm.png

Would I have BPD if I existed on my own island?

As carers, maintaining healthy relationships with a pwBPD can pose a challenge. Let’s hear from you.

Some of our amazing members have already started to talk about this next question 🙂 For those just joining in the community: What has been your experience of caring for someone living with BPD? 

@Daisydreamer 

i can answer that on behalf of my hubby !!!!   my fits of rage, my emotions going up and down

"walking on eggshells"

A really thought provoking analogy @tyme!

Just finding out what the illness is took me 39 years

@Determined carer burnout is so challenging, and it's okay to still be working your way out of it today 💛 

I'd love to know what you've done to take care of yourself during this period (which may come up as a question later as well!)? Burnout and self care is so important to talk about!

Hi @PTG  don't worry it took me 45 years to find out I had BPD

Very good point @BlueBay .

I've often questioned - if i was caring for someone with BPD, would I stick around? How would it affect me?

Over the years, I come to appreciate that carers stay around because they CARE. Being a carer for a person with BPD can be so rewarding. Strengths in carers come to light when caring for someone with BPD. We will be looking at some of these strengths later.

I can see your hubby can see the beautiful side of you. Remember, you are not your diagnosis. There is a part of you that means so much more to your husband than your BPD.

What do you think?

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.