Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ray_D
Contributor

Feeling isolated with my secret bipolar illness

Hi, this is my first post. I've had bipolar disorder for 15 years. I can't share my experiences especially at work because I am a manager and my psychiatrist advised me that people would not respect my decisions if they knew about my illness. I can't talk to any support group because it's a small town. I'm hoping this is a safe place to share. Does anyone else feel like they're living a secret?
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Feeling isolated with my secret bipolar illness

Yes don't tell!!! On this forum though you can be open and honest. You will find topics on this subject and more. Since I've been on here I found the most compassionate kind group people who have had various experiences. Others might have a different view than me but I do feel people do use MI against us in the work force. Welcome to the forums. Happy new year.

Hi @Ray_D

Welcome to the SANE forums!

I am not sure about others that feel like they are living a secret, im sure many people dont feel comfortable telling others about challenges they are facing, but there has been a bit of a discussion about dislosing MI in the workplace here 

and there are also a number of other members who have identified as having bipolar such as @mrkotter @GonePirate @Nikolai @Loki

again welcome and i hope that you can find the forums as a bit of an online support group 

Thanks @esprit and @Fancy_Pants . I think disclosure can work for many people. I have disclosed to my manager, but I think it could be damaging to disclose to my other colleagues and people that work for me.  I appreciate the linkis to the workplace discussion and to the other members who've identified as bipolar.  Happy New Year!

@Ray_D hope the new year finds you well! 

I think there are good reasons for disclosing and not disclosing. I've previously had bad experiences with managers but I've also have had fantastic ones. 

I am for pro-disclosure - I don't hide it but I don't advertise it either. I think if we want to change things then we need to do something about it. It just sucks we have to put ourselves at risk to drive change. The guys here gave me some awesome advice last year on this - https://saneforums.org/t5/Our-experience-stories/Covering-Do-you-do-it/m-p/113739/highlight/true#M21...

But I also understand people wanting to not disclose. When I disclosed to my team last year (who were really good about it) I was ready to do it. 

Thanks @mrkotter.

Thanks for pointing me to your post on disclosure. I actually think I don't have an option to disclose to my team.  I think it's important for my manager to know about my illness.  I've been lucky to have some really understanding managers.

Ray_D

Hi Ray_D,

I have been living and trying to deal with my Bipolar and chronic complex PTSD for a long time. Yes it would be very hard to be in the position your in, I come from a small town and in the end I had to leave. all I can say is that your better off finding someone, even if you have to go to a bigger town or to the smoke once a month or so to be able to talk with someone face to face when you can. My Family now know and they are getting to understand it and I am trying my best to get a handle on it. I found I had to be very controlled with where and when I went out , what I eat and drank. But most people know me as the grumpy old man on the corner.

I hope if you have any questions, their are plenty of people on this site that are their to listen and try and help.

Dogman

Thanks for writing about your experience and for your suggestions @Dogman.  I've got my psychiatrist who I regularly talk to, a manager who knows about my illness and one special friend who has shared a lot of the journey with me.  I've already appreciated everyone who's replied to my posts here on this forum.  There's a strength here that is amazing.  So many have dogs in their profile pics too 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.