Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ellu
Senior Contributor

Holidays

Dear Everyone,

I am just about to get on a plane for Adelaide to join the big Estonian festival which is held once every four years. (My parents are Estonian). I am kind of excited but kind of anxious as well, as I will be away from my familiar surroundings and supports.

I know not everyone is in a place where they could contemplate an interstate holiday,but now that Christmas is over some of us have time off and I thought it would be nice for us to plan a "holiday" for ourselves. What do you like to do ? Go out for a walk? Have a coffee with a friend? Indulge in a hobby? Read? Or just sit quietlyand enjoy the peace and quiet. Buy yourself a treat from the supermarket. Write a letter or e-mail to someone you haven't contacted for a long time.

Try to think of little things YOU enjoy and give yourself a bit of a break.I know not everyone is feeling in a holiday mooc, but just try one little thing to make you feel better. You are worth it!
Ellu

4 REPLIES 4
utopia
Senior Contributor

Re: Holidays

@Ellu. I hope you enjoy your celebrations. Sounds like a good holiday.
I would love to travel to WA & NT - see all the sites - learn some aboriginal history - history of the miners and pearl divers - enjoy the beach and read lots of books. Oh & I'd like to have some money to go souvenir shopping.
Sometimes planning a pretend holiday - can be exciting in itself.

For a long time I could not go on holidays .. @Ellu

So I thought of all the down sides of holidays .. the smells the heat .. the waiting .. the luggage issues

and just watched tele .. and googled pretty pictures ..

last year and this year I am doing interstate things .. YAY

NikNik
Senior Contributor

@Ellu
I hope you had (or are still having) a great trip to Adelaide!

Thanks for raising this. I didn't take much time over Christmas, but to try and make the summer feel like an extended holiday I try to take advantage of daylight savings and do something after work - like go to the beach, a walk or play some sort of sport.

🙂
Neb
Senior Contributor

it sounds lovely, but golly I hate the HEAT. Summer seems to have finally arrived here in New Zealand, and I shall be having a shower shortly. By golly,I used to live in Queensland...how I have acclimatised!

I live alone ecxcept for the 1.5 cats, so it is all me time, which can be FAR too much at times. A holiday for me is seeing some place DIFFERENT. NZ driving times are completely different to Australia. There is a city not quite 100 kms away and it takes well over an hour to drive there...a topology like a Toberlerone chocolate and very much smaller and twistier roads, never mind the EXTREMELY changeable weather ( think Melbourne weather on steroids!) The sea is about 3 kms away, as is a beautiful river. I am very fortunate to have so much choice.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.