Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Talzy_T
Contributor

New to Melbourne need to make Friends

Hi Everyone,

I live in Melbourne, I'm new to the city and I only made one friend through work its bit hard talking to her about mental health as she is just grasping information about it and I was trying to find people who would understand mental health and connect with you guys as I need to connect with people in a meaningful way. 

I'm from a Pakistani muslim background and its really hard to talk about this with my family as they dont get it at all. I also have a strong hate towards the religion because they dont have a real proper solution to mental health besides praying and spiritually connecting to god which I dont have and I dont want to at all.

I've been through so much in this last 5 years of my life that there were many situations that I could've died and I've experienced psychosis. Its scary to be in that mind set and I wish there are more people to talk to about these things. 

23 REPLIES 23

Re: New to Melbourne need to make Friends

Sorry if I'm rude, but I'm an Australian, I grew up in Canberra and these past 5 years has been hell for me. Yeah I've been in Australia my entire life lol. I just have a different cultural background that does not meet my beliefs.

Hi @Talzy_T hope u find some ppl soon who are more on Ur wavelength in Ur new city

Making friends is hard fir me too, as an adult...it is so awkward! Hope Ur having a good day

Hello and welcome @Talzy_T 

I'm sorry the last 5 years have been so hard for you and that your family don't understand.  Moving to a new city was a big step for you - do you have good professional supports for your mental health?

Often people have friends and networks formed while in school and higher education so making new friends can be hard. If you're interested in sport or politics or community services you might be able to join a group of like minded people. Or you might want to look into part-time further study.

Sharing here on the Forums about your mental health journey is very powerful. There are threads relating to different diagnoses and also groups for social support and shared interests. So you might want to tell us more about yourself so we can help you connect. 

Hoping you settle and feel happy here

Dimity

Content/trigger warning

@Dimity Yes its been a difficult journey, I do have psycho social supports here, Im currently getting DSP, NDIS application done so will see how that goes. I do have an appointment every week with them so it does help compared to talking to a psychologist they're useless to me as they dont give in the time by texting or calling us when in need of help. 

I'm not much of a sports guy so making friends can be hard, as I'm bit of an introvert with extrovert traits sprinkled through out my personality. 

I wouldnt really dont want to study again unless I am trained from a workplace as I dont want to study something that will be useless and a waste like my bachelors of Business Informatics degree which I hate IT and that workplace which make you work like robots and really have a lack of understanding of mental health. 

I'm actually looking for work as a lived experience/peer support worker I was advised by one of my support workers that I would be good for the role and should apply for it.

Hi @Talzy_T it's good you have psychosocial support. Some people look to a gp or psychiatrist for ongoing medication. 

You're in the right place if you're interested in lived experience/peer support work. @tyme or @Judi9877 might be able to fill you in on pathways to this type of work.

@MDT could be about your age and is also considering what career path to follow after trying some alternatives  and might have other good advice. I hope you can "meet" each other for a chat.

Hi @Talzy_T
Thanks for the tag @Dimity

I hope all are okay this morning

@Talzy_T are you looking at peer support work too are you?

Its good to meet you. I do hope the forums are a place you enjoy

@MDT Yeah, wow you're looking for that kind of work as well? Yeah it seems like its my type of field, I've longing for career where I can make a difference and help people in mental health as all my previous jobs have been depressing and doesn't really get me anywhere.

Well I hope I do make friends outside of this forum because virtual friendships tends to be difficult at times. Sometimes I dont want to type everything and just speak my words.

@Dimity Yeah I do take medication daily for my disorder but yeah I do have a GP for some support. 

@tyme and @Judi9877 if you're able to talk me through the pathways of lived experience/peer support work as I have very little information about it but it seems its right for me, I guess. Until I actually do the work I cant really tell if it will be the right fit.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.