Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Neb
Senior Contributor

Playing video games

Big confession time here. I WASTE an awful lot of time playing video games, specifically Skyrim. I sort of get hypnotised by it and spend hours glued to the dang thing. I have played through every quest at least a dozen times but I go back to it constantly. I hate horror and zombie type things and stupid vampires (I am not a teenaged girl anymore).

I do enjoy the role playing aspect of these games, being in my nutty teen years a real fan of those board games with a dozen multisided dice etc.

Do you play video games to get lost in, to vent anger and hostility or what? Oh yeah, please tell me your favourite games as well!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Playing video games

Hi @Neb,

years ago I got addicted to a stupid on-line game that was available for free through Facebook. My friend also got addicted at the same time! So we discussed it and we both decided to go 'cold turkey' and get away from the game, as it was a waste of our time. 

My friend is very good with computers and she managed to work out how to completely delete any trace of the game from our accounts. Once it was gone, I seemed to recover within 24 hours! I was glad to be rid of the game and I did not relapse. 

I was the same as you, I felt hypnotised by this game. I think it's the same type of thing that makes people feel hypnotised by poker machines... it's just a very relaxing feeling and it's also a form of escapism.

You might like to do some reading about the neurotransmitter 'dopermine' and it's role in addiction. 

How motivated are you to break the cycle? You might like to write a list of all the other pleasant things you could be doing with your time. 

For example; walking the dog/playing with a pet

Cooking up some healthy treats

Exercising... cycling, yoga, walking, swimming

reading/going to the local library

Calling a friend/emailing someone you haven't seen for a while

Taking up a craft/scrap-booking/crochet/sewing/jewelery making

dancing to music

join a club/choir/sport/social group

I think I personally do have an addictive personality and I have to be very careful! Plus, I am not busy working right now, so I have time on my hands.

hey ho Sahara, thank you for the response. Your take on the topic is much appreciated. I dont want to give up the game as it is a lot of fun, but I have an alarm beside the 'puter and try to limit myself to one quest. This appears to be working, I have as already stated played the game through dozens of time. I suspect part of the 'glued to the screen' thing probably doesnt help my headaches.

Hello @Neb,

That's great you are aware of how much is too much, especially if you are getting headaches. I don't play computer ganes anymore, more so when I was at school and procrastinating with school work, the hours would fly by and before I knew it it was midnight and felt like I was on there for half an hour?

I found that giving myself a time limit and removing myself from the computer would help so I wouldn't get stuck in the routine, it was hard but I got used to doing something else such as reading.

If you can do it for a certain quest or time amount and really commit to that than you might be able to get rid of the headaches. How are you finding just doing one quest?

Lunar

Hi Lunar......the one quest thing, depending on the length of the quest I think. I also MUST go for a daily walk....exercise is anathema to me, but of course, it is beneficial. I know I am a bit kooky as I feel the same about having a shower.....itn is really hard for me to get in, then I dont want to get out, I love the hot water over me.

My computer trouble is exacerbated I think as I am a keen reader and embroiderer....all requiring eyes....which are evidentally strained. I am doing better, I am eating REAL food, meat and 3-4 veg, not necessarily meat everyday . Amazingly, I am not consuming half the junk rubbish I was indulging in...my body craving nutrients, but the brain choosing not good options, weirder and weirder!

I used to be addicted to my Xbox 360 and play Fable series for days on end. I think I mostly did this because I had few real life friends (other than those online that I played against in COD) and didn't get out much due to public transport phobias. Now I am over those phobias surrounding public transport, I got out and made friends and am no longer as lonely as I once was. The Xbox is just collecting dust and I have no desire to upgrade to the latest system. 

If you enjoy it however, and you have time limited, I can't see a big problem with it personally. 

Have fun!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.