Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

finding the discussion around vaccines triggering

I am finding a lot of the discussions around vaccines and specifically those who dont want to be vaccinated to be triggering. like hearing about antivaxers is just kind of scary and it makes me mad that people are willing to put others especially people who are immuno-compromised at risk just because they dont want to have the vaccine. i try and disengage as much as i can but it is hard to avoid it completely. i am also finding it hard to have compassion towards those choosing not to vaccinate themselves and i am trying to be understanding but i just dont understand why they would do such a in my opinion silly thing. idk if i am explaining myself i guess i just want to know how to not feel so scared and upset by this topic? if anyone has any productive suggestions i would love to hear them.  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: finding the discussion around vaccines triggering

The only thing I can think of to do is to avoid the news articles and discussions if possible. 

You could also maybe talk about it with your counsellor? @Eden1919 They may have some strategies? 

@Eden1919 

Heart

I agree with @NatureLover 

It seems a lot of the news articles are increasing people's fear generally.  I do not think you are alone.  Maybe some people have their own real particular health and philosophical reasons for how they think on the issue and are not just anti-vaxxers.

Look after yourself.  I have to protect myself from incoming info and limit my time on gadgets.

Smiley Happy

Hi @Eden1919 - when I get stressed or anxious about anti-vaxxers, I look up the rates of vaccination - at the moment, 91.5% of people over the age of 16 have had at least one dose of the vaccine, and 85.1% of people over the age of 16 are fully vaccinated (source: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-update-22-november-2021 ). I also notice, when I do go out, that most people are doing the QR codes, doing the masks, keeping their distance. I really feel that media reporting on the 'freedom marches' etc. can give the impression that anti-vaxxers are more common than they really are. Most people are doing the right thing. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone i will give those things a try. 

Did you see Jackie Lambie having it out with Pauline Hanson's anti-mandate bill. I took some comfort in that. It's champagne Lambie. She's fightin' for us when it comes to this one.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.