Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

scared to be honest with the psychiatrist

i am supposed to see the psychiatrist soon and they are new and i have only met them once and they scare me and i am scared to talk to them and be honest with them about what is going on i feel like if i tell them they will be angry or annoyed with me and i dont know what to do things are not ok at all and i am struggling so much but i am scared if they find out things will go badly idk how to explain it. has anyone else had this issue? 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: scared to be honest with the psychiatrist

Hey @Eden1919  i think I can relate. Sometimes I struggle to be honest with my psychiatrist... or even my psychologist cause I am scared of what they will say. That if I tell them exactly what is going on that they will respond in a certain way. But I guess to get the right support and help then we need to be honest? Otherwise nothing will change? 

I get a little scared when I see my psychiatrist. I fear I won't have the right answers to her questions or that I will get in trouble. I trust in my spiritual deity- they will help. Usually the session goes well. I answer honestly.

Hi @Eden1919 Smiley Happy.

I got to a point where I couldn't be honest with my therapist anymore, because I'd discovered the hard way that she just wanted to find ways to manipulate me. But that wasn't at the beginning.

I'm sorry to hear that you are scared of your therapist.Smiley Sad I'm no expert on positive treatment experiances, but I'm pretty sure therapy isn't supposed to feel like that.

Do you have an escape plan, incase you need to get out of this treatment? Or do you have anyone you can formulate an escape plan with?

@Eden1919 @chibam @Inspire @Bow 

Hi Darlings,

being scared of seeing your psychiatrist and psychologist is normal to a point.

if they truly scare you or manipulate you. You do not have to see them.

Legally you can ask to see a different person. tell your gp, the receptionist, call your local hospital and let them know,

Call Lifeline 131114

Beyond Blue 1300 224 636

These places can help you with asking to see someone else.

You should never be scared of your therapist

Hey @Eden1919  I have problems opening up to my psychiatrist. There are some things which she doesnt need to know. Then again I have told her some pretty wild stuff. Dont rush it. Take your time. After all this is what they are being paid for. Love peaxxxx

Thanks everyone, I dont have an escape plan for if things go badly 😕 

I will try and be honest with them but i am sturggling to communicate lately so it might be difficult. i still dont know what it is about them that is making me scared. 

Hugs
have you told them?
Write it down if you can't say it.
not saying its the same. I had a psychologist once who could read me like a book, she could see through all my excuses, she is an amazing psychologist. but i can't see her because i am not ready to be that honest with myself, i deal with my excuses as i become aware of them. when i saw her i felt guilty because she truly saw me, that scares the living s**t out of me. i see other psychologists instead for the moment, i told her that and she was very supportive of me seeing someone else, therapy doesn't work if you are feeling scared or guilty of/around he therapist.

Double Hugs
Nony

@nony  I had an appointment with them yesterday and it didnt go great i couldnt explain things properly and was just stumbling over myself and idk it was kind of a mess. 

@Eden1919
Oh my darling,
I'm sending extra hugs and strength your way. It sucks to have meetings like that.
Are you ok?
Go slow and be gentle with yourself.
Remember you can take Fairy Steps cause sometimes Baby Steps are just too big.
Extra big warm cuddle hugs.
Nony
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.