Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Topic Tuesday// MEN-tal Health // Tuesday 28th November 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

Calling all men and loved ones of men! On Tuesday 28th November, we’d like to invite you to join us for a conversation about mens mental health, with SANE Peer Mentor. 

November Topic Tuesday Tile.png

The event start times across Australia are below:

WA: 2:30pm 
NT: 4:00pm

SA: 5:00pm 

QLD: 4:30pm

NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS: 5:30pm 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below and we will tag you 30 minutes before the event starts. 

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

Hope to see you there in the chat on the night!

67 REPLIES 67

Re: Topic Tuesday// MEN-tal Health // Tuesday 28th November 2023 5:30-7PM AEDT

Hey everyone!  

The discussion will be kicking off in15 minutes on this thread! To come along, please refresh this page at 5:30pm and join the conversation. 

In this discussion we will be talking about:  

• Why men have a tendency to supress their emotions 
  • Why is it important for men to reach out 
  • How men can navigate the everchanging face of support 

We can’t wait to see you there at 5:30pm! 😊  

Tagging those that have interacted with the post/ or that are online right now and might like to join the discussion: @chibam @StanD @Sophia1 @anon28 @Healandlove @MzUnique1 @Spicy_Squirrel @Bill16 @Ceejay_ @Dimity @FightingForYout @Oaktree @Meowmy @SmilingGecko @Snowie @StuF @creative_writer @deshift 

Welcome to everyone joining us or reading along tonight!

Firstly, we would like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the various different lands across Australia that we are joining this discussion from tonight. We pay respect to the elders of those communities (past and present) and further extend that respect to any other Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people with us tonight or reading back through the thread.  

Tonight, we are joined with SANE Peer Mentor @Bon_courage for an empowering discussion on Men’s Mental Health.  

To get us started, I invite @Bon_courage to introduce himself. Let’s get this discussion started! Everyone is welcome here & thank you for joining us! 😊 

Hello All. My name is Dean. My pronouns are he/him. I’m 53-years-old and I am a father of two daughters. I’m a Peer Mentor here at SANE. I have previously worked as Senior Peer with South-West Sydney LHD – with NSW Health as part of their Towards Zero Suicides Program. I worked in an outreach unit called SPOT & and an inbound crisis centre called Safe Haven. I’ll tell you more about it later in this segment. I have Lived Experience of suicidal crisis in the context of a relationship breakdown.  

I am passionate about Men’s Mental Health because I live and breathe some of the struggles that many Men feel. Can I unequivocally state that I’m NOT the expert here. We all have our own individual experience. And no situation is alike. What I feel I can bring to the conversation is some first-hand experience working on the front line of Suicide prevention, my own lived experience and several years of Peer work experience supporting people experiencing mental health challenges.  

In the course of my peer practice, I have had the privilege to connect and collaborate with many services specifically tackling Men's mental Health. I find this space motivating and meaningful. This, I feel, is my little bit. In my role as a Peer, I always practise from a person-centred perspective, providing the people I support with a safe space, unconditional positive regard and an opportunity for self-discovery.  

Time for our first question of the night for @Bon_courage 

Tell us a little bit about men’s mental health! Why is it important that men reach out for support?

Thanks for the question......I may start here with some sobering numbers and patterns to reflect on. 

• Three times as many men than women die of suicide. 
  • Men are anecdotally reluctant to seek Mental health help for a variety of reasons some being cultural some to do with societal expectations or our expectations of ourselves (often it is quite a blurred line). We go through a list of factors later. 
  • Presentations at Mental Health services show a sharp tendency towards more women than men seeking help. 

Why is it important? because while we may think that we can or should tough it out, that we should behave like we’re invincible; we are simply human. We have physical and emotional needs. Our emotional needs, often neglected or even suppressed, are just as important. Like all humans we thrive when connected. Isolating ourselves is not a long-term strategy. 

@Bon_courage, so do you think it's more a case of "men being the problem" - of them being infected with a stubbornness that needs to be cured? Or is it more a case that the act of help-seeking (under currant conditions) isn't a productive course of action? I've been of the impression that it's more the latter then the former.

I really like this @Bon_courage- it's a really important reminder! 

@Bon_courage wrote:

we may think that we can or should tough it out, that we should behave like we’re invincible; we are simply human. We have physical and emotional needs. Our emotional needs, often neglected or even suppressed, are just as important. Like all humans we thrive when connected. Isolating ourselves is not a long-term strategy. 

@chibam Thanks for asking the question. My take is not so much men being the problem but recognising different strategies and opportunities to offer support in the mental health space can achieve different results. 

me too!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.