Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What does recovery mean to you? // 17 Oct. 7pm AEDT

Welcome @Former-Member and please be sure to look after yourself, if you are finding this too confronting make sure you access support, call our helpline or step away when needed.

@Phoenix_Rising I think thats a good point - a lot of recovery discussion in mental health is actually talking about a journey or a path to being well. 

@Former-Member I can see how it seems sad - that first definition is a medical one that seems to apply in a broader health way. This could be a great way fos us to find a more positive way of approaching recovery and its 'definitions

Hi all 🙂

I have been looking forward to this Topic Tuesday.

Recovery for me would be reaching a point where I am managing my mental health to an extent that allows me to lead a meaningful and fulfilling life aligned with my beliefs, goals and values. I think for me it also incorporates an element of having become stronger or more capable because of what I have lived through (moving beyond "managing" maybe).

I too think "recovery" is a very personal thing, which will very much differ in what it looks like for each person. I really struggled with the term initially as it seemed like it would never be a possibility, but now it is something I embrace more and maybe even something that I hold on to as I try to get there. 

Welcome @Former-Member

I think that is exactly the issue with this definition and as @Phoenix_Rising said - the word Recovery itself? There is no standard for 'normal' in mental health. We are uniquely different in our experiences, which is why having a word like this is hard to experience and 'define' when we all come out with different understandings I think. Curious no?

If you were to word your own definition how would you like it worded perhaps?

Hey @Lauz

I care for my husband Mr Darcy who has a primary BPii diagnosis (+ other).

I refer to an absence of major symptoms as 'remission' rather than 'recovery' and believe that relapse prevention is the goal of treatment.

Mr D understands recovery in the usual sense of the word (complete healing, no further treatment required) and I would only use the word recovery in relation to recovering from an acute episode. From what I understand he will never be free from the disorder.

To see Mr Darcy in remission medically is one thing, however, to see him involved in meaningful activities and living well in spite of his diagnosis is another and I will support him and advocate for him in whatever way I can to help him achieve this.

I am not sure if it is recovery but something we learn to manage. My psych said to me once that my MI is something I will have to learn to manage and deal with for my life. Does that mean I will never recover? Or do I recover when I get to a point where I gain control, undestanding and acceptance of my MI

@Phoenix_Rising wrote:

I do not understand why in mental health people seem to feel the need to use the word "recovery" when from what I can tell (and based on the definitions you have given) what they actually mean is "living well with...." If that's what they mean, why not just say that?

I totally agree with this, @Phoenix_Rising.

I really think the problem is the term 'recovery'.

Welcome @CheerBear and @Former-Member,

Both of you have some really positive insights here - I find it interesting @Former-Member to see the differing views between you and Mr Darcy where he sees it as the complete healed outcome and you base it more on living a meaningful life. 

@CheerBear I think that the way you have reframed your view to see recovery as something you as platforms or points you get to as really interesting. @Former-Member I think a lot of people are told similar things to your therapist and I feel that means that yes you will 'recover' at all different points and days and moments and that is the journey that maybe some of those definitions look to include. Small wins can be a recovery.

I think some patients do recover from depression or anxiety, however there are some chronic conditions where recovery is not possible and I dislike the use of the word recovery in that setting.

Hi @Lauz . Haven't answered your question on the other thread but stumbled on u here. Its 4.20pm here so am not sure whether this forum is still on. My first time here. I don't feel recovery means anything to me cuz life is a cycle and each day we are going forward and getting older. New challenges coming our ways, more tissues and cells found their expiry dates and at certain age cells are no longer renewed..ie the skin cells, retinoid, brain cells etc. When going againsts trauma..the damages gets heavier. At certain age we reach menopause and andropause. We tend to get wiser with age but recovery...? I don't believe in reverse action of the living cells. Right now i am having recurring pain from my slipped disc which happened some 20 yrs back. So..recovery? Its just a cycle.

Just my 2 cent.

Hi @Lauz 

my husband Mr Shaz  who has Mi , I asked him this question tonight , he has been thinking about it  and he said he would love to do things , go places without the fear of being anxious and having panic attacks

me speaking ) -- takes my husband all the power and strenght to go to social events and can only go to one at a time

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.