Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: I have BPD. How do I get friends?

@Cinderella83 , I haven’t heard from you in ages. How are you? I got you are okay.

Oh hi!

I've been through the mud and back just recently actually and I'm trying to get myself to somewhere that's partly sane. 

I've been trying to contact old friends etc to see if I can get a support network going 

My partner was kicked out of our home by child protection, he was being abusive to me and being very strict with the kids, they were unhappy. The day he was kicked out, he was verbally abusing me and my son witnessed it and told his school counsellor as it scared him and he was worried about me. I'm not sure if it was abusive though, probably just verging on it. It's hard to tell though as I was brought up with abuse and all my ex's have abused me 

I'm less happy now he's gone but the kids are happier, that's the main thing! 

@CFH . Just thinking the same thing 🙏

Hi @Cinderella83 . Not a stupid question at all. It's a really common issue.  Im in a girls only FB group for locals and heaps of people of all ages are posting friend applications  to meet up in person.

I've been in your position where friendships baffled me and I would avoid people. But I now have a couple of lovely friends and thats all I need. Here's what I learnt..

1) learn what your values are so you can be authentic. Values was a lost word on me when I had lost my identity. 

2) take it slowly and watch for red flags. There's a great podcast on schemas called The Good mood clinic. There's an episode on red flags and friendships.  I wish I had known about schemas way before I did. 

3) libraries often have social groups and you don't need to talk cos it's about doing an activity. Usually the same people go and you start to become familiar. 

It sounds like you're ready to dip your toes in and that's great, best wishes. Xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.