Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My Story and where to from here.. (very personal)

No idea re rates prob cheaper if get a student tho? @Sam3

Hey @outlander how are you? Thanks for your reply. No not really a Support worker because I tried that with a mental health non-government agency & was told the role was just talking only (not consistent with evidence-based practice & “behavioural activation”!!!). So instead I reckon I’d have to ask an acquaintance & offer to pay at maybe around a support workers’ wage. Sounds pathetic but in a house with 6 of us I really do find it tricky to organise, clean, de-clutter, etc. (NB. ..and I do NOT have high standards!) I’m feeling guilty about the younger 2 kids due to working 4 days per week & the recent depressive episode (not to mention the past). They’ve been having too much screen time etc. & need more structure/routine but I can’t even do it for myself.For my own mental health, on balance it’s better if I work several days a week. My husband should probably retire in next couple of years (if I could finally get permanent employment) & then he could do more with the kids (but he’s not strict at all & whilst he’s very good but not a follower of routines either really). I’m tempted to send them to a better school but really wellbeing & academic outcomes depend a lot on the home environment in any case I reckon. What do you think @outlander@Zoe7 and anyone who might be interested in the discussion? 

Perhaps a peer support worker would help @Sam3
You said youve tried a support worker before to but perhaps they werent a good match for you? Ive spoke to a few members about their support workers and they take them out shopping, help around the house as well as being there for you to talk to and to sort through things such as working on routines, motivation, and helping with work roles/requirements as well.

Can i ask why your thinking of sending them to a better school? Are you finding they arent learning well enough, dont seem happy where they are? Other reasons?

Hey @MDT I found a website that may interest you: gradaustralia.com.au 

As well as career pathways it has individual’s journeys ( documented “interviews” of what jobs people did at the start of their careers). It may not be directly relevant to where you’re at now but I think it’s interesting reading (although I was reading about physics, maths & engineering for my kids & what those jobs involve does my head in! How can 2 non-numeric parents produce 4 kids who like science & maths!?!?) 

Thanks for the student idea @TAB but all I know locally are high school not uni students & I need the person to be mature enough to be firm with me!

Sleep well everyone @MDT @outlander@Zoe7@Shaz51

sure there's someone who's got time to do it @Sam3 ..perhaps it comes under life coach? that can seem pretty broadly defined?

In my experience @Sam3 a stable home life does correlate to better academic outcomes when those kids are also happy at school. There is no single factor that equates to better academic outcomes but it does certainly help if parents/guardians are not only interested in what their kids are learning but active in their learning. It also helps massively if the kids are happy at their school, in their classroom environment and like their teacher. Kids are more likely to want to please the adult role models in their life if they are treated with respect and like those role models and that subsequently leads to greater learning as they also tend to challenge themselves more and have higher expectations of themselves.

This children can get from any school but it is often that public/government schools don't have the resources to extend children in some areas - the arts come to mind here for me - at my previous school a small group of kids were able to participate in a band program but places were very limited therefore all that wanted to participate were not able to - those selected had extra tuition but if there was more money available for this program then more instrument could have been purchased and more 'teacher time' brought to teach more students. It so often comes down to funding and that is where private schools are most often more equipped.

@Sam3 @TAB @Zoe7 @Shaz51 @outlander

Will reply in length shortly. Just in car atm. I get queasy if I read in the car.

completed the tests

30 mins for 20 questions. I had 2 minutes to spare at the end. I guessed one of them. Maybe 3 or 4 were hard to figure out. I ended up doing permutations which i haven't done since high school lol

So it was like "the letters M A T H S are put down on paper. What is the likelihood that they are drawn out of a hat in that order?" so each letter has a 1/5 chance of being drawn out (.2) as a decimal, then you times it consecutively... so the answer is <0.05% it is roughly 3.2% of the word MATHS being drawn out...

that's what I said but I just realised that it reduces everytime.... so it's actually

.2 x .25 x .33 x .5 x 1 = 0.00825 which is still less than 1%... Maybe I did put the right answer... but with the wrong calculation...

Anyways. I'm glad that's over.

I can focus on another application now for something less competitive.

But now I have to go and get my letter again... because it has a web address on it...

@outlander @Shaz51 @Zoe7 @TAB @Former-Member @Sam3

@Sam3 I've learnt a few trick yes haha. Just from being around and having my mind I suppose. Yes I did find a good psych that helped with this anxiety and stuff. Took a while to get to where I am at now though.
Psych is helpful when we need it I think. It's costly. I have my MHCP too, I need to go and pay that today too lol.

Hi all @MDT@Shaz51@Zoe7@TAB@outlander

Hope everyone is travelling ok. Thanks re life coach type idea @TAB

That is great you did those online tests @MDT

Thanks @Zoe7 for your expertise & wise words. No. 1 & 3 (& probably no. 2) were not ‘extended’ much in primary school but no.1 is doing a double degree that he loves.

How are you feeling @Zoe7? Will you see about changing back to old medication regime do you think?

Im hoping that @Shaz51 slept alright & @TAB is not power walking in the heat.

i had to come to my hometown for my 2nd interview & bizarrely it was near my old primary school. Curt parked near my childhood home. Wish my parents could have been part of their grandkids lives but at least 3 out of 4 remember the devotion they had for them. I’ve received a verbal offer for employment at same facility where I’m currently located (ie. with the other company who won the contract). My role would be more demanding with higher expectations with this company but I went for $5 per hour more so we shall see what I get in writing from them. I know I should be delighted but my boss is one of my former university students & I’m not keen on the field. However, it’s 4 minutes from my door for 4 days per week. Just need that life coach to get the rest of my life & my kids’ lives in order!!!! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.