Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: My Mosaic

You are amazing @Bow 💖🫂💖🫂. 3 meals is an achievement, so proud of you. I hope you find the hospital stay healing.

3 meals, wow, well done @Bow !!

I hope they give you your pencils back today, or something to write in your mental health journal with! 

Also that you don't have to go through everything again with a new pdoc. 

Sending 💜

Wow @Bow 3 meals is a huge achievement. I know how hard it is just to eat 1. You should be super proud of yourself hun, that is a hug accomplishment.

It's strange that they don't let you keep at least a pen so you can write in your journal. 

I hope your shower was nice and that you were able to get a good nights sleep last night. Also hoping that today goes ok and that you get some more answers that you so deserve.

Thinking of you lots hon and sitting here with you 💗💗💗

Bow
Senior Contributor

Well…. I seen the pdoc for this ward this morning 😩 no continuation of care from the ward I was on yesterday and the pdoc I seen then. 

I told the pdoc this morning that I was pissed and when he asked why I explained what the last 4 days have been like. Nearly 2 days in the ED. Then the ward yesterday and the pdoc there and then they move me and what me to start all over again with him. He understood. And didn’t know what to say after that! 

They are all of the assumption that I have agreed to ECT. I said no. I explained I wanted to know what it would look like. Whether there was any possibility of it being done as at outpatient and as I have been told my numerous people that that is not possible, that I am then not interested in having it… and I explained what I didn’t want and couldn’t do it as an inpatient. He understood again and said that it could possible be done as an outpatient. He also explained that my community mh pdoc had said that that’s why I had come in, to have ECT. I said no. So they are going to continue to do the ‘mark ups’ for ECT. Whatever that means. And that I would see the head pdoc tomorrow. He was a registrar. I also told him that I wanted to go home tomorrow.  Will see what happens.

I had to have a fasting blood test this morning. That threw me. Was waiting in line for breakfast and the nurse came and told me. I wasn’t expecting it and I could very well of just skipped breakfast after that, but I didn’t. I did the right thing. 

I seen the dietitian this morning too. The pdoc from yesterday said she would organise it. I explained to her that I am determined to keep this a psych admission and she was keen to support with that. So she has organised a few extra things to ensure I can keep up my intake. There are no individual meals here, everything is served up from the cafeteria in the ward. I’m ok with breakfast, there are a few safe options for me there. Lunch was an issue yesterday so she is going to ensure there is a cheese sandwich and a yoghurt for me. And dinner should hopefully be ok, as I am use to dinners at home and there are usually 2 options available here. And I’ll get a chocolate milk at morning and afternoon tea! Oh and she requested that I be weighed this morning. I was not at all keen. I have not weighed myself for such a long time. When the nurse came around to do it I just sat there for ages staring at her. Didn’t want to go. But I went. We did a blind weigh. It’s still really hard to sit with. Knowing that someone now knows how fat and overweight I am. 

I’ve pulled my paint by numbers out today. I’m not sleepy unlike yesterday. 

If you got this far, thanks. I don’t have too much capacity to wander the forums at the moment, but I’m trying to pop in and see how you are all doing when I can. 

Proud of you @Bow 💝 Thank you for sharing your updates 🤗

Proud of you @Bow 💝 Thank you for sharing your updates 🤗

Also just wanted to edit and add: That ED voice can be so brutal. I hope our supportive voices here can help quieten it down a little. Despite what it says: You are a valued, worthy, cared-for individual.

@Bow It sounds like some really good things are happening but also some things that are super frustrating.

I'm glad at least the dietitian came in and you were able to speak to them. It is great to hear that they are going to make sure there are things there that you feel comfortable eating too.

Seeing another pdoc must be so frustrating, starting all over again is super tiring too.

Glad to hear you have at least got your paint by numbers, hopefully it makes the time go a little bit faster.

Not sure if the hospital is like the one I went to, but they can do ECT as an outpatient at my hospital. That is what they want me to do know. They want 1 session a fortnight which I haven't agreed to yet.

I must admit hon, I am so envious of how direct you have been with the nurses and doctors there. I think it needs to be done on your terms and you are showing so much strength and courage.

Will be here for you hon 💗💗

I’m proud of you too @Bow. You are showing so much strength by advocating for yourself. 

Requesting safe food and drinks shows so much courage and determination! 

You got this @Bow 

@Bow 

Thinking of you today hon and hoping things get sorted out.

Still here with you 💌💌

Bow
Senior Contributor

I seen the registrar early this morning. He said the consulting psychiatrist was away today so I wouldn’t be seeing her today and he wanted me to stay to continue the ECT prep (still needed a chest X-ray). I said I just wanted to go home and as I had not agreed to the ECT not to worry about or I asked whether I could go home for the weekend and come back on Monday- he doesn’t have the power to make that decision. I again said don’t worry about it then, I’ll just go home. He was very hesitant and said he would see if another consulting pdoc could review me. 

just before lunch my mum messages me saying the registrar had called her and told her I was staying to have ECT. WTF????

I went looking for my nurse

The registrar comes back 2 hrs later and says after consultation with the psychiatrist and folks in the community they were going to schedule me and not let me go home. What the h*ll??? I asked why? Who did they speak to?? He would not listen to me. I tried explaining that I had done the right thing, I had been complying, eating, I wasn’t having any SI, I tried explaining what lead to my admission, why I was here and that I wanted to go home. He wasn’t going to budge. 

I called and spoke with my case manager and asked why she wouldn’t let me go home. She wasn’t aware of any decisions and she wasn’t the person in the community that the reg spoke to. 

I went to talk with a nurse, told her I wanted to know the reasons why I was scheduled, who they spoke to in the community and that I wanted to go home. She said she would escalate it.

the NUM came to see me. I explained everything to him. Wanted to know their reasoning around why they thought I was not safe to go home. Who they spoke to. I said I wanted to see an actual psychiatrist, not just have someone over the phone make such an important decision (scheduling me) considering they hadn’t  actually met me and making this decision based on nothing. 

a psychiatrist then came to see me. I sat down calmly and explained everything to her. She actually listened. I explained the whole ECT thing to her. That I had no agreed to it, but that I told folks that I may possible consider it as an outpatient and also explained my hesitation due to the long term side effects from my early 20s. 

we talked about my si. That it’s something that I deal with on a regular basis and as it had been rather severe and chronic the last while, my team had been suggesting an inpatient stay, which I eventually agreed to as a short circuit breaker. I told her I hadn’t had any SI while in here but acknowledged that it will probably come back but that I am honest with my team and reach out when I need it. 

she agreed to let me go home! I did wanna go huh! To the reg sitting there that scheduled me. But I didn’t. I thanked the pdoc and walked back to my room. 

How do you determine the line between overreacting and just being assertive?? I did cry. I was angry. I always worry about having a BPD diagnosis and people seeing things I do as being manipulative??? 

this was my biggest fear though. Being honest and coming in here voluntarily and then not being allowed to leave. And this is exactly what happened. I believe a big part of the reg not letting me go home is the whole ECT thing. He believed that that was why I was here, that my community pdoc wanted me to have it. But that was wrong. 

im glad I’m on my way to getting out of here. I won’t be home to pick my daughter up, which is what I really wanted, but I’ll still be home today. 

sorry this has been so long, if you got to the end, thanks. And thanks for letting me write updates on here. It kinda helps me process things. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.