Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

Agreed @Faith-and-Hope
Thats the best part of labels

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

Say a show on tv today @Faith-and-Hope that suggested ‘labelling’ created ‘identity’ re psych diagnoses .. like .. oh they are that diagnosis so it’s ‘who they are’.. probably a can of worms for here, but seems to be a school of thought that having a label’ re diagnosis can actually be unhelpful ..?

That is part of the earlier chat on this thread @TAB .... where health professionals (amongst others) get hung up on the label and aren’t really listening to, or seeing the actual person and who they are .... and from there, what their actual needs are within the diagnosis.  It’s supposed to be a helpful tool, not an identity.

Sorry I hadn’t read back and shouldn’t have commented without at least reading what was said before. @Faith-and-Hope

All good @TAB .... I think it helps to clarify that point.

Yes, i agree about the labels @TAB there is a danger of people 'living up to labels' or people being treated ike a label so much that they become that label...
Its been highly documented in children that they often live up to expectations and the perceptions that adults have of them.. i do think as adults we are not immune to the same scenarios whether its coming from family mindsets or mental health professionals...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/resolution-not-conflict/201202/psychological-diagnosis-dangerou...
Fyi only and not trying to be amongst pigeons.
..I wasn’t part of the discussion. I saw something today , happened on this thread and thought would share. Ie big pinch of salt maybe. And just sayin

Yeah there’s a lot out there at the moment re human behaviour , study and info.. even extends to to questioning free will of so called sentient beings @Former-Member .. it’s interesting.. I fo wonder re fads tho

..do..
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.