Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: My journey

@Zoe7I am sorry for attacking you the other day. I am so in my head sometimes. Today I feel a bit better. I worked all day so I guess I was distracted in a good way. I do feel that especially from the trauma when I am right back there where events happened.

I can genuinely say I have seen the other side of the world and in my head things just get dark

I have avoided certain people because I hate myself everytime it happens and don't want to feel what I feel when it happens but at times it has been unavoidable

I wasn't always like this. When I am working I feel normal. I hate overthinking. I just can't believe how much I have changed within this last week

I remember my ex telling me to never cry just crying even makes me feel weak now

I have been smoking like crazy when not at work and I want to stop but can't because my anxiety is sky high when i am in my head

I have had financial stress within the last week I don't know if that has triggered me
The longer time passes others mainly family keep telling me I am getting better but in all honesty I feel like I am losing myself more and more every day and falling more apart
It gets harder I just want closer I just want to feel myself

@Former-MemberSometimes I like people's posts not because I like what is posted, but as a gentler background way of saying that I hear you when you look at your notifications.  Also being a little bit afraid I will put my foot in my mouth and say the wrong thing.    I have been in those extremely overwhelmed states and very defensive etc when also loving and looking afer my children. It is hard no doubt about that. It takes a lot to get financially established and a supportive group of people around you.  Especially when you have come out of an abusive relationship.

It is a start getting to know people on the forum and sharing a bit and relating.

Take care

hey @Former-Member still here for you 

There is no harm done @Former-Member - I figured you were not doing so well and I just so happened to be around - but thank you for the apology - it means a lot Heart

The true character of a person is shown when they can see that they have done something to upset someone else and can apologise for it - so that shows me YOUR strength of character and you should be proud of this within yourself Smiley Happy

I think like so many of us here @Former-Member that 'other side of the world' is a very dark place to be. I seem to be constantly teetering between sitting on the fence between light and dark and falling towards or in the darkness - and it sucks!

That feeling of 'being back there' is so debilitating - you can't think, you seem to stop feeling yet you feel everything and there seems no path back to the present or reality - I know this place well @Former-Member as it seems do you - I am so sorry you have to know this kind of pain but know I get it and am here for you - to listen, to chat or just to sit with you when you need some company.

Crying does not make you weak Hon - it is your body's way of letting out emotions and that means you are feeling - I did not/could not cry for many years as I was so shutdown emotionally - that is not to say I did not feel things it was just that things would get so hard that my whole body would literally shutdown. 

The great thing about you being on the forum @Former-Member is there are so many people who have or are experienceing the same or similar things as you are right now - so you are not alone - financial stress, not working, family, ex's, life - can all get to everyone but throw in a MI as well and life seems unbearable - baby steps @Former-Member - just take each day as it comes and deal with what you need to each day individually - even break your day into manageable blocks of time...

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Appleblossom It takes everything. I feel like a little girl some days starting all over again. I feel constantly stuck in reverse most days. I never ever understood broken until this....

I don't want others to be scared of me.
This is why I feel like him in so many ways.
I was frightened for my life with my daughter.

I do hope you and your children are safe now too and you are coping as best you can now
Former-Member
Not applicable

@outlander Thank you
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Zoe7 You do get it. I am so sorry for acting the way I did. You are fighting like hell too.
You are very very strong to be able to help others still while you are suffering. I feel like I have lost faith I feel like it has made me lose humanity in society and I also feel like I have lost my softness. You really do sound like me.
I feel shutdown. It's so hard most days I just can't believe how much of a shell I am now and fearful of life and people at times
Sometimes I can't believe my own reactions or triggers I sometimes just think what just happened and I then i just cry shut down or get really insecure and confused

I don't understand me most days anymore

There is absolutely no need to be sorry @Former-Member you were hurting and I understand that Smiley Sad

I think understanding ourselves and being able to help ourselves are 2 very different things. I understand myself and that in-fact often adds to my sadness as so much of who am I has been shaped by trauma. Both the positive and negative characteristics of ME may not be there without what has happened to me - but that also leads me to fighting with my own self and often the negativity wins because that suffering is still so prominent!

I can be triggered by something that seems so innocuous - like birds chirping, a song, a word... nd those things are all around us and it happens so unexpectedly at times. I find my physical reaction to such triggers is what overwhelms me the most - it is something I can't control and not having that control is yet another trigger... too much of my life being 'controlled' by others and what they have done to me!!!!

I am trying to take each day as it comes and in those days hour by hour and minute by minute if need be - this is the only way I have found to stay safe (as safe as possible anyway) and not get too overwhelmed by what 'could come' because if I stay in the mindset of worrying about tomorrow or the next day etc. then it becomes too overwhelming and I just can't cope. Baby steps and in small increments... because that is all I can achieve right now @Former-Member

@Former-MemberI sometimes still feel like a girl and I am quite an old bird! Woman LOL

My situation is still complicated and far from ideal, but I keep at it. Thanks for caring to ask.

The best tool for me during my worst times was a form of meditation called metta.  "Loving-kindness"

As we care for our children we need a little part of our mind/energy to care for ourselves. It was very slow but I learned a lot and it helped me in teaching too.

There is also a parenting thread I think @CheerBear started ... maybe have a look at that.

@Zoe7is right. The capacity to apologise means a lot.

Take care of the part of YOU that is still little or hurt.  Be gentler on your expectations of being the perfect mum. Its alright to be a "Good enough" mum.

Pieter_de_Hooch_004motherchild.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Zoe7 I feel like that too with what has been done to me. I am finding it hard just to fight through the anxiety every day. Some days it is worse than others.

@Appleblossom I didn't ask because it none of my business... If you want to share it do so but I don't force people to tell me things

I have a tattoo (loving kindness) on my foot that I had done before I met my ex partner.
I was kind. I was loving and I definately didn't hate anyone
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.