Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Distress Tolerance // Tues 17 July, 7pm AEDT

@Sue1 - this is also something I do "acknowledging the feeling, then asking is my state serving me in this moment?"
I call it checking in, I seem to be relatively good at it with low level anxiety when the pressure is internal, but once I ratchet up I am so IN the distress I just seem not to be able to 'catch myself". Even when I know that the situation I am going into is likely to cause distress. I lose all perspective.

I think i struggle to know what emotion I am feeling. So in the end it becomes anger at the world and myself. An overwhelming sense of 'Why bother"

How can you move through and deal with this when most of the time I don't know what I'm feeling. And that in itself becomes another stressor.

There’s a big difference between disliking unpleasant emotions, but nevertheless accepting that they are inevitable part of life and allowing them to run their course, versus experiencing unpleasant emotions and trying to rid ourselves of the feeling. Although the strategy of avoiding things that feel unpleasant can work in some contexts like avoiding the harsh sun on a hot day, applying this strategy of avoidance to our emotions tends to backfire. That is, the more we fear, avoid, or struggle with distress, the bigger it gets.

What avoidance strategies do you notice in yourself? Does it surprise you to hear that avoiding or fighting against distress actually tends to make it worse?

Me too can skyrocket 0to 100! Intense emotii n

Often when we feel like we move from 0 - 10 in terms of emotional intensity, it can be hard to pause and take a moment to notice what's happening and to choose how we react. I really like your suggestion @MoonGal of acknowleding the emotion and gently asking, how is this serving me? 

I find when distressed ( having a trauma history) that it is sadness that hits me first but it quickly turns to anger, if my needs are unmet at this point, I'd quickly and react from rage. It was terrifying; confusing and I did not know who I was anymore after a year of reaching this intense level each time as I was in a period of chronic stress that was unrelieved in anyway I tried.  Looking back I was anxious everyday and it compounded with my complex ptsd, that I'd only known and been diagnosed for not even a year. I was told for 2 decades it was depression, I knew how to manage that, but not this new me doagnosed with complex ptsd. That took on a whole new level of trauma symptoms and issues popping up without any warning, so i felt completely out of control within my mind and my body's reactions. 

I avoid most situations that could have the potential to heighten my emotions.

@Margot I always want to run away disappear - because I csnt cope. When there is too much overwhelming stuff going on in my head that is the first thing I want to do. I know it’s not right but it’s like a default it’s automatic. 

I've noticed that when i feel too anxious I like to watch TV, go on YouTube or FaceBook in an effort to distract myself from whatever 'bad' feelings I'm getting from being overwhelmed.

Hi @Sue1 and welcome ☺. I love the idea of asking if that state is serving you at the moment. Recently I was encouraged to practice asking "is this thought workable" (and other similar questions). I like the idea of "checking in" as you mentioned @MoonGal, but also find it tricky sometimes to catch it when I am hooked by the big feelings I am experincing at the time.

Extra difficult to do when you go 0 to 10 really quickly as I think you mentioned @BlueBay (or what I call zero to a million!)
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.